Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<664742e3$0$6552$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

From: Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch>
Subject: Re: cpu-x
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
	<v1f0m2$3ot7f$3@dont-email.me> <v1fr57$3urp9$3@dont-email.me>
	<v1jqfo$v3os$3@dont-email.me>
	<663fba6f$1$6436$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<66400e83$0$7173$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<v1pt96$2k7b1$1@dont-email.me>
	<6640b38c$0$7175$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<v1r0hk$2s5uh$1@dont-email.me>
	<664146ce$0$1258332$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<v22ehe$t90n$2@dont-email.me>
	<6644fbcf$2$8480$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
	<v26gla$20265$3@dont-email.me>
Date: 17 May 2024 11:43:31 GMT

On Fri, 17 May 2024 02:50:18 +0000, RonB wrote:

> On 2024-05-15, Andrzej Matuch <andrzej@matu.ch> wrote:

>>> Agreed. If you absolutely need the application there's not much you
>>> can do. But just by using Linux I have very little proprietary
>>> software.
>>
>> Even though I can afford to buy proprietary software, I usually find
>> that the open-source ones are either better or good enough. As long as
>> they don't eventually kill themselves as useful applications the way
>> that Thunderbird just did, I continue using them forever.

>>> It could be a coincidence. And she uses her card a lot more than I use
>>> mine.
>>
>> Yeah, you don't have much of a choice other than PayPal if you're
>> making online purchases though.
>
> I understand. I had to change out my Visa debit card a month or so ago
> because some moron was using it for Google Pay. I've got a good credit
> union, they get this kind of stuff stopped quick. But it is a pain to
> have change out my card number for my monthly bills. (First world
> problems — or should that be "soon to be former first world problems?")

I can't imagine how bad the security of these institutions or our software
is that this continues to be a problem. My card used to get cloned all the
time back in the 2000s when I was using a wallet without RFID blocking and
blindly trusting the machines at convenience stores to be secure. It's
been a lot better since, but it sucks that my card had to yet again be
cloned when I bought this laptop because I dared to make an online
purchase. Luckily, I caught it quick: I was waiting in the dentist's
office and noticed a few charges for Ubers.