Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<6647df2d$0$6438$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Fri, 17 May 2024 18:50:21 -0400
Subject: Re: The Golly! of Python
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>

> On Sun, 12 May 2024 13:39:22 -0400, DFS wrote:
>
>> The GuhNoo world desperately needs adult supervision.
>> MS-haters are free to do what they want, but the resulting 1000+ distros
>> - the large majority of which are barely used - has been a gigantic
>> waste of time and effort.
>
> How many billions do you think all those distros have cost to produce?
>
> Who do you think should be the ones to provide the “adult supervision”?

The Authority.

> Should it be Microsoft or Apple to go around buying all these distros and
> shutting them down? How much would that cost?

Buy them?  They're worthless.  And they're dead already.  Nobody pays or
donates, and nobody uses them.  If the devs had any shame they would've
removed them from the market a long time ago.

> What would stop new ones from appearing?

Devs having the personal dignity and self-control to not put out
derivative crapola.

>> For instance, despite contributions to LibreOffice from over 1000
>> people, the Base database component has been extremely substandard and
>> unchanged for years ...
>
> Really??

Yes, really.

> It can interface to powerful industrial-strength back-end DBMS
> engines like MySQL/MariaDB and SQLite. What can Microsoft Access do?

As well as also being able to connect to those same backends (via ODBC),
Access can do *endlessly* more than that crappy LO Base.

Here's a simple Access 2003 interface I built in Nov 2015 on top of a
few USDA food/nutrition tables (data stored in Access 2003 tables as well):

https://imgur.com/a/PBpe6Al

It has one tab control with 2 pages, 7 listboxes, 2 option groups, one
textbox, and small amounts of VBA code.  Plus the special MS magic that
lets you make Access apps look very professional by setting properties
of the file.

To this day - at least 30 years after such functionality was available
in MS Access - that simple interface cannot be duplicated in LO Base.
Very likely it never will be.

The main issue with Access is the very limited Jet db engine, which last
I checked had a 2GB file size as a hard limit.  That alone prompted me
to use SQLite as a data store for an Access app I built.

Access + VBA + ODBC + SQLite = sublime

PyQt + python + db connectors = also sublime, but Access has excellent
reporting built in.