Article <66588714$0$1245635$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<66588714$0$1245635$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 10:03:05 -0400
From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>
Subject: Re: Why I won't run Windows on my Thelio
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 5/29/2024 9:16 PM, vallor wrote:
> On Wed, 29 May 2024 18:49:40 -0400, DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote in
>
>> On 5/28/2024 11:49 PM, vallor wrote:

>>> This is the 1.0 version, I have the 1.1 version:
>>>
>>> https://tech-docs.system76.com/models/thelio-mega-r1.0/README.html
>>>
>>> With a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X.  256G of ECC memory.
>>>
>>> NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
>>>
>>> If the daughterboard isn't supported on Windows, all the cooling fans
>>> will run full-speed, which would be annoying.
>>

>> https://github.com/system76/thelio-io-windows
>>
>> Now remove that Linux shit by slicking it with a Windows disk.
>
> That would be a downgrade.
>

>> Enjoy good software and games for a change.
>
> The software I use is more Linux-oriented than Windows-oriented.

Not understanding this.

>> Use WSL if you have a compulsion for a bash shell.
>
> I would use Cygwin, if I wanted to downgrade.
>

>> Embrace Notepad++ and MS Office and
>> AIDA64.  Move out of the ghetto to the suburbs.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/ZhwJJLz
>
> LOL.  "[TRIAL VERSION]".  Talk about "ghetto".

ha!

I just recently tried AIDA64 for the first time.  I'm trying to get them
to sell me a one-PC license for $20.  The current license if 3 PCs for $60.

Even $20 is too much for a system info app that I'll barely use, but
it's a masterful piece of software.  Too bad Linux has nothing
approaching it.

>> Note: why did you buy such a powerful system?
>
> Because I didn't want my system to be weak.  I wanted
> a workstation, not just a desktop.  (Even so, for a workstation,
> it's actually a little on the low-end.)

It's scary that you/others consider your system 'low-end'.  It's an
incredible amount of computing power to have in front of you.

Looking at various 'workstations' online, the graphics card often makes
up 1/2 the price.

Note: I wrote a python program to parse Usenet message files one at a
time and add them to a SQLite relational db.  On my AMD 5600G/16GB
memory system, the program never runs slower than ~200 posts PER SECOND.

If I run the program for N posts, then rerun it for the same N posts (eg
after fixing a minor code issue), it will often run at 1200 to 2000
posts per second.  I was shocked when I saw that.

I have to wonder what a system like yours would do.

> For example, I can use the ramdisk for images for virts.
>
> I can also unpack sources on my ramdisk for faster compilation, and
> build them with "make -j 64".
>
> I run games and stream them with obs-studio, which takes
> serious horsepower.  4K video is like that.  Also editing
> the video benefits from the extra horsepower.

So you paid $5K+ to record video gaming streams (not that there's
anything wrong with that).

Aside: did you follow the demise of Artisan Builds computer builder?
Their downfall began with the CEO making fun online of a Twitch streamer.

https://github.com/lllyasviel/Fooocus/releases/download/release/Fooocus_win64_2-1-831.7z

> Did you watch the video that rbowman posted?  Linus was surprised
> at the Linux performance of his little Thelio.  It beat MS Windows
> in many ways.

link please.  I'd like to see it.