Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<666522c8$1$3747325$882e4bbb@reader.netnews.com>

Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2024 23:34:35 -0400
From: DFS <nospam@dfs.com>
Subject: Re: More Funny Stuff From Joel
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

On 6/8/2024 7:42 PM, Joel wrote:
> DFS <nospam@dfs.com> wrote:
>
>>> I can't imagine I'd need anything beyond C.

It's true that you generally don't NEED anything beyond C, but a
language like Python will save you immense time, depending on the problem.

>> I hope you're not gonna pull a Feeb and claim you're a C guru that can
>> 'move the Earth', but refuse to show ANY decent code, then make lame
>> excuses like "I have other fish to fry".
>>

>> 1) write your own C to sort these 3 names (by last then first):
>>
>> William Thomas
>> Zachary Jones
>> Jim Thomas

n1 = ['William Thomas','Zachary Jones','Jim Thomas']
n2 = []
for n in n1:
	n2.append((n.split()[0],n.split()[1]))
for n in sorted(n2,key=lambda x: x[1] + x[0]):
	print(n[0] + ' ' + n[1])

6 lines of code

>> 2) write your own C to count the words in:
>>
>> "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."

s = "Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."
print(len(s.split()))

2 LOC

>> 3) write your own C to calc the mean, median and mode of:
>>
>> 1,2,3,4,5,5,6,7,8,9

import statistics
n = [1,2,5,4,3,6,7,5,8,9]
m = sorted(n,reverse=True)
print('Mean   =', str(sum(n)/len(n)))
print('Median =', (m[4]+m[5])/2)
print('Mode   =', str(statistics.mode(n)))

6 LOC

(note I changed the order of the numbers so the mean/median/mode values
- all 5 - weren't so visually predictable.  And a more general routine
that doesn't use the stats module and handles any length number set is
maybe 12 lines of code)

>> Why is it I have a VERY strong feeling you and Feeb and C are about to
>> be pwned by python?
>

> What purpose does coding that serve?

That you can at least minimally support your boasting.

> I can code, I choose not to

Not buying it, pal.  I don't believe you can still write C code to
accomplish those things.  You're way rusty!

> because everything's already been coded, by someone else.

wtf?  You got high yesterday.  Why did you get high again today?

Joel, Feeb and C: severely pwned by Python