Article <7ipo5j92bd03bjpvcch4vu6tfprvja137h@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<7ipo5j92bd03bjpvcch4vu6tfprvja137h@4ax.com>

From: Wolfgang Strobl <news5@mystrobl.de>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: A small piece of metalwork - mounting an Aura 100 lamp on the fork
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2024 15:28:33 +0200

Am Sun, 2 Jun 2024 06:59:04 -0400 schrieb zen cycle
<funkmasterxx@hotmail.com>:

>On 6/2/2024 3:43 AM, Wolfgang Strobl wrote:
>> Ortlieb Classic
>
>Nice work.

Thanks!

>Might want some Loctite on the threads if you haven't already.

I haven't, so far. That's what I meant by writing "The thread
will perhaps get some thread locking adhesive", Loctite or something
similar.

>This is just my personal preference, but I don't like lights mounted
>that low.

Sure, it's a compromise. There are four possible mounting positions
(three sockets, my construct is not symmetrical). I choose the second
position from the bottom to get less shadow from the tire. The uppermost
creates too much shadow. I'll perhaps try the next higher position, when
testing it outside and in the dark.

>They create long shadows over the slightest ripple in the
>pavement such that what's really in that shadow - just smooth pavement
>or a wheel eating pothole - isn't obvious until you're right on top of it.

Indeed. But the lamp is still good enough to be visible and to see the
road and obstacles.

>I don't ride at night any more, but when I did I had a headlamp that I
>mounted to a Bell V-1 with the battery cord down my back to to a fanny
>pack. It made the beam angle nice and high which gave a much better view
>of the terrain (shorter shadows) and also light up where I was turning
>into instead of where the front of the bike was pointed.

I too don't ride at night anymore, or when it is cold or wet outside.
Being retired, at my age and with some already damaged bones I've enough
reason and enough opportunities to ride with daylight and good weather.

So my lamp is mostly thought for those rare cases where a long tour
might have taken a bit longer than planned.  Speaking about headlamps, I
used one for a while in the past, on my commute.

In no way can a headlamp substitute a law conforming bicycle lamp.  That
headlamp was useable for getting some twit to switch of his or her high
beam, but that's about it.  I still regularely turn my head to the left
and to the right while riding, in order to inspect what's happening
around me and did that even more so when riding more often through
places more crowded than what I visit nowadays.  But  I still don't want
to ride into a dark hole while I'm doing that.

I guess, it depends a lot on where you ride and when. YMMV, as they say.

Most roads around here are lit enough to not need additional light to
see. These are mostly necessary and usefull to be seen. Small at they
are, my lamps give a 360 degree visibility from quite some distance, the
brake light function comes handy even during daylight.

--
Thank you for observing all safety precautions