Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<7mih5jhqoqvrrlhuo7capibe2cetggqcce@4ax.com>

From: boB <boB@K7IQ.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Distorted Sine Wave
Date: Thu, 30 May 2024 11:55:55 -0700

On Wed, 29 May 2024 20:08:58 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 29 May 2024 18:19:40 -0700, boB <boB@K7IQ.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 29 May 2024 20:49:27 -0000 (UTC), Cursitor Doom
>><cd999666@notformail.com> wrote:

>>>I don't understand how a reflection can account for it either. THe cable's
>>>only 4' long! However, with the 50 ohm input enabled, the 2nd harmonic
>>>disappears. It's just one of those inexplicable mysteries that no one
>>>knows the answer to. :)

>>Weird but I'm not surprised that  4 feet if coax, unloaded at 10 MHz
>>gives a strange waveform.  Can simulate this, I believe, in LTspice
>>using the transmission line element(s).
>>
>>Learned something here though.
>>
>>boB
>>AZ
>
>No txline can create frequency components that are not in the source.
>
>(Well, a NLTL can, but 4 feet of coax isn't a shock line.)
>
>But the problem, as usual, is underspecified. Maybe some driver is
>going nonlinear. A schematic would help.

I was thinking the same thing.  Non-linearity.

But he said that when he loaded it with 50 Ohms, it went back to a
sinewave.   Maybe that non-linearity went away when it was loaded ?
Could be some kind of termination non-linearity or even coming from
the source with the higher levels of reflections.  Can't explain it
otherwise.

boB