Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<7mnb7j9pplh9p8q6d8fndon4v0ra3rqbid@4ax.com>

From: shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-06-20 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2024 16:23:40 -0400

On Fri, 21 Jun 2024 11:15:23 -0700, Arthur Lipscomb
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>On 6/21/2024 9:24 AM, Ian J. Ball wrote:
>> On 6/21/24 1:30 AM, Ubiquitous wrote:
>>
>>> What did you watch?
>>
>> On the last workday of the (summer!) work week, I watched soaps and some
>> more movies!:
>>
>> soaps: DOOL - This was mostly set up for the "prom" episode that will
>> come Friday. (Uh, it's mid- to late-June - Do HS's *anywhere* have prom
>> this late in the year?!!) Anyway, NuTate's date (can't remember her
>> name) overhears Tate and his friend (can't remember his name) talking
>> about prom, and realizes that Tate isn't interested in her and is just
>> using her to get close to Holly - later, Tate's date rats out their
>> scheme to NuTheresa! So they're going to get busted on Friday.
>> Meanwhile, Theresa has a disturbing dream about giving it all up for
>> Brady! Stefan forces EJ to reveal he's DA again to Nicole.
>>     GH - Finn's bosses refuse to let him back to work, and he takes it
>> about as well as expected. Spinelli gets the audio file of Carly's
>> incriminating confession that Jagger has been holding over Jason and
>> makes a copy for Sam, who beelines it to Carly.
>>     Y&R - I only saw a little bit of this - Victoria's younger daughter
>> still resents the insertion of Claire into their lives. Claire
>> commiserates with Kyle (I can't even figure it out - are they blood
>> relatives, or not?! I think they're not...).
>>
>> Target: My Daughter (Tubi) - This was interesting - this 2017 thriller
>> felt too low-budget to be a Lifetime flick (IOW, even lower budget than
>> a Hybrid Films flick!), so it never made it to Lifetime.
>>     Also, I have a theory that Yancy Butler has been blackballed by
>> Lifetime
>
>I thought she was blacklisted by Hollywood in general.

Is it really a black list when your own actions with alcohol have lead
people to feel like she wouldn't be a reliable performer. Though she's
clearly gotten plenty of roles over the years. Nothing major but at
least she's been able to keep working. Though nothing in the last few
years.

>(I think she appeared in a Lifetime film or two a decade or
>> more ago, but has not been in a Lifetime flick in at least a decade!),
>> so they probably wouldn't take a movie with her anyway...
>>     But it also stars Karis Cameron, c. 2017 - so between Cameron doing
>> "Open Heart" in 2015 and her first Lifetime flick (which was "Identity
>> Theft of a Cheerleader") in 2019 - back when Karis Cameron was still
>> young and beautiful (and before she put on the weight, post-2020 -
>> Cameron effectively hasn't worked since 2022).
>>     Anyway, in this, Cameron's character witnesses the murder of her
>> father (via cell phone), by a gangster (Aurelio Di Nunzio), and so she
>> and her mother (Butler) - who, of course, happens to be ex-special
>> forces or something - are put into witness protection (the original
>> title of this flick was "Witness Protection") in a coastal village
>> somewhere (this couldn't look more like British Columbia if they tried!!).
>>     And, of course, the gangster sends a hitman (hey! it's Sebastian
>> Spence!) after them.
>>     This was barely OK, but I enjoyed Butler's twitchy performance as
>> sort of crummy mom-type, and Karis Cameron has perhaps never looked
>> better than here.
>>
>> Prowl (2010) (Tubi) - OK, I am about 95% sure I have seen this 2010
>> flick before, most likely on the Chiller channel back in the midish-2010s.
>>     This has an even more laughable crediting sitch' than the movies I
>> watched on Wednesday - the indisputable "star" of this 2010 horror flick
>> is Courtney Hope (before she f**ked up her looks and got gigs on B&B and
>> Y&R - Hope is naturally thin-lipped as you can see here, but in later
>> life she has refused to accept this fact...  :/  ) - anyway, Hope is
>> credited *third* in the film's primary end-credits, and *fifth*!! in the
>> film's cast list credits. Despite being the film's clear lead!! That's
>> ridic.
>
>She needs a better agent.

I only know her from her role in the game, CONTROL. She's great in
that game. Haven't seen Y&R in years since I only saw it when visiting
my parents.

>>     Anyway, Hope's character ropes in a bunch of friends (among them, a
>> young Perdita Weeks (after she did "The Tutors" but before "As Above, So
>> Below"), Ruta Gedmintas and Josh Bowman (from "Revenge")) to accompany
>> her to Chicago. For [reasons], they are eventually to be transported
>> there by a truck driver played by Bruce Payne - hint: if your driver is
>> played by Bruce Payne, he is up to no good.
>>     From this point, the film doesn't waste anytime in getting to
>> (improbable!) horror.
>>     This was about on part with Wed's flick "Underground" - it's a
>> decent "ride", once it gets started.
>>     P.S. In this one, Perdita Weeks has arguably the most horrific death
>> scene.  :/
>>

>> What did you watch?
>>

>I watched:
>

>The Boys - "Wisdom of the Ages" - I'm not even going to try and
>summarizing it.  But I guess it was OK.

Is that episode 4? Haven't got to that just yet. The season is
definitely pushing the edges.

>Evil (Paramount+) - "How To Fly an Airplane" - Team Evil investigate a
>potentially holy artifact.  Meanwhile the most annoying TV kids ever
>prove why they need a babysitter.
>

>Hose of the Dragon (HBO) - "A Son for a Son" - Season 2, episode 1.  I
>don't know why HBO even bothered with that pathetic thing they called a
>recap at the start of the episode.  I tracked down a slightly better
>recap, but I was still lost.  I no longer know who is who!  Anyway, I
>guess it was OK.
>

>Superman: Red Son (4K disc) 2020 Stand alone DC animated movie starting
>in an alternate 1955 where Superman was raised in Soviet Russia by
>Joseph Stalin.  In this world Lois Lane is married to Lex Luthor.  And
>since it's the 50s everyone smokes. But it's OK because Lane smokes the
>same brand of cigarettes as her doctor.  Anyway, Superman finds out that
>Stalin isn't the nicest guy and decides to take him out and become the
>new leader of the Soviet Union.  He then reunites Korea by force and
>promises to bring his style of truth, justice, and the Soviet way to the
>rest of the world.  The movie then goes on through the 80s showing what
>the world would have been like with Superman a Russian and Lex Luthor
>(who eventually becomes President) the protector of the U.S.  Batman is
>also in this but in this version he is also a Russian, and out to defeat
>Superman.  This was pretty good.  I almost skipped it.  I very glad I
>decided to go ahead and watch it.

Yeah, it's a different spin on the story but I enjoyed it.