Article <868r1up0wk.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<868r1up0wk.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>

From: Alan Bawden <alan@csail.mit.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: Lisp history: IF, etc.
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 17:54:51 -0400
	<20240329084454.0000090f@gmail.com> <uu6om5$cmv8$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240329101248.556@kylheku.com> <uu6t9h$dq4d$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240329104716.777@kylheku.com> <uu8p02$uebm$1@dont-email.me>
	<20240330112105.553@kylheku.com> <uudrfg$2cskm$1@dont-email.me>
	<87r0fp8lab.fsf@tudado.org> <uuehdj$2hshe$1@dont-email.me>
	<87wmpg7gpg.fsf@tudado.org>
	<LISP-20240402085115@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
	<20240402084057.881@kylheku.com>
	<86h6gjpq3i.fsf_-_@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<m3frw2vlok.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>
	<86cyr6pb2l.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<875xwy412p.fsf@nightsong.com>

Paul Rubin <no.email@nospam.invalid> writes:

   Alan Bawden <alan@csail.mit.edu> writes:
   > McCarthy invented the conditional expression and thus created the
   > first expression-only programming language.

   I think Church's lambda calculus also had this.

   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_encoding#Church_Booleans

Yeah, I though about that while I was composing my previous message, but
my life is finite, so I didn't go there.  But this is Usenet, so we are
forced to explore every side issue until we all drop dead of exhaustion.

So does Lambda Calculus qualify as a programming language?  Well _today_
we would all say yes, because we have examples of purely functional
programming languages where evaluation is lazy and so we don't need a
special operator for conditional evaluation.  But when McCarthy was
inventing Lisp, nobody thought that pure Lambda Calculus was anything
like a programming language.  It's only since then that we've done the
work to make that practical.

So I _could_ argue that in 1958 Lambda Calculus was _not_ a programming
language, but today in 2024 Lambda Calculus _is_ a programming language,
even though Lambda Calculus didn't change in any way!

But given the way being a "programming language" was understood in 1958,
nobody was going to invent an expression-only programming language until
they first invented the conditional expression.  So thank you John
McCarthy.

- Alan