Article <8734sdxr6b.fsf@parhasard.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8734sdxr6b.fsf@parhasard.net>

From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: OK Day (23 March)
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 09:45:16 +0000

 Ar an ceathrú lá is fiche de mí Márta, scríobh Christian Weisgerber:

 > [...] I'd like to nominate the mythic Wild West as the earliest American
 > cultural export that went global, although its spread beyond North America
 > and Europe may postdate WWII again, I don't know.

Jack London was massively popular in Russia in his lifetime, though I can’t see
any comment about contemporary popularity in the Spanish and
Portuguese-speaking New World in the corresponding Wikipedias. As I understand
it, Karl May wasn’t hugely read outside of Europe, though he was huge within
Europe.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’