Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<877cfykdod.fsf@yaxenu.org>

From: Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: Church numerals in early lisp implementations?
Date: Sun, 12 May 2024 16:55:46 -0300

Alan Bawden <alan@csail.mit.edu> writes:

> Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> writes:
>
>    McCarthy wrote this in ``History of Lisp''.
>
>    > Numbers were originally implemented in LISP I as lists of atoms, and
>    > this proved too slow for all but the simplest computations.
>
>    Was that Church numerals?
>
> Certainly not.
>
> The "atoms" is question were probably machine words containing the
> digits of the number in some suitable base.  I would guess base 2^36 or
> 2^35, depending on how they chose to represent negative numbers --
> similar to the way GMP still works today.  But I don't know for sure.
> I've never seen this documented anywhere.

Do you know if they have big numbers in those early implementations?
(Why would they use a list of things?)  I'm now thinking that by ``list
of atoms'' (and with the light of from your post) they were supporting
big numbers.  Their algorithms were perhaps naive, explaining ``the too
slow for all but the simplest computations''.  Thanks!