Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87a5gonesm.fsf@parhasard.net>

From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: E.E.Cummings died (3/9/1962)
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2024 06:55:37 +0100

 Ar an ceathrú lá de mí Méan Fómhair, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > [...] "The seeds of Cummings' unconventional style appear well established
 > even in his earliest work. At age six, he wrote to his father:
 >
 >     FATHER DEAR. BE, YOUR FATHER-GOOD AND GOOD,
 >     HE IS GOOD NOW, IT IS NOT GOOD TO SEE IT RAIN,
 >     FATHER DEAR IS, IT, DEAR, NO FATHER DEAR,
 >     LOVE, YOU DEAR,
 >     ESTLIN.
 >
 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._E._Cummings

  ‘M. L. Rosenthal wrote that: “The chief effect of Cummings' jugglery with
  syntax, grammar, and diction was to blow open otherwise trite and bathetic
  motifs through a dynamic rediscovery of the energies sealed up in
  conventional usage ... He succeeded masterfully in splitting the atom of the
  cute commonplace.[1]”’

If he were a patient of mine I wouldn’t be at all surprised if there were
ischaemic damage to Broca’s area on an MRI brain.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’