Article <87a5gxzhep.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87a5gxzhep.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

From: Ben Bacarisse <ben@bsb.me.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2024 00:15:42 +0100

Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:

> Ben Bacarisse <ben@bsb.me.uk> writes:
>> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:

>>> As I recall, the terms "lvalue" and "rvalue" originated with CPL.  The
>>> 'l' and 'r' suggest the left and right sides of an assignment.
>>>
>>> Disclaimer: I have a couple of CPL documents, and I don't see the terms
>>> "lvalue" and "rvalue" in a quick look.  The PDFs are not searchable.  If
>>> someone has better information, please post it.  Wikipedia does say that
>>> the notion of "l-values" and "r-values" was introduced by CPL.
>>
>> I presume, since I mentioned the concepts coming from CPL, you are
>> referring to specifically the short-form terms l- and r-values?
>>
>> I can't help with those specific terms as the document I have uses a
>> mixture of terms like "the LH value of...", "left-hand expressions" and
>> "evaluated in LH mode".
>
> The documents I have are unsearchable PDFs; they appear to be scans of
> paper documents.
>
> https://comjnl.oxfordjournals.org/content/6/2/134.full.pdf
> https://www.ancientgeek.org.uk/CPL/CPL_Elementary_Programming_Manual.pdf
>
> Do you have friendlier documents?

The earliest that is searchable has this title page:

  UNIVERSITY OF LONDON INSTITUTE OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
  THE UNIVERSITY MATHEMATICAL LABORATORY, CAMBRIDGE
  CPL ELEMENTARY PROGRAMMING MANUAL
  Edition I (London)

  This document, written by the late John Buxton, was preserved by Bill
  Williams, formerly of London University’s Atlas support team. Bill has
  generously made it available to Dik Leatherdale who has OCRed and
  otherwise transcribed it for the Web. All errors should be reported to
  dik@leatherdale.net.  The original appearance is respected as far as
  possible, but program text and narrative are distinguished by the use of
  different fonts. Transcriber’s additions and “corrections” are in red,
  hyperlinks in underlined purple.  A contents list and a selection of
  references have been added inside the back cover.

  March 1965

I don't know where I got it from.  The other searchable one is just a
PDF is the oft-cited paper "The main features of CPL" by Barron et. al.

--
Ben.