Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87frslxg6l.fsf@localhost>

From: Lynn Wheeler <lynn@garlic.com>
Newsgroups: comp.arch
Subject: Re: Architectural implications of locate mode I/O and channels
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2024 07:30:58 -1000

"Paul A. Clayton" <paaronclayton@gmail.com> writes:
> In theory, non-practicing patent licensors seem to make sense, similar
> to ARM not making chips, but when the cost and risk to the single
> patent holder is disproportionately small, patent trolling can be
> profitable. (I suspect only part of the disparity comes from not
> practicing; the U.S. legal system has significant weaknesses and
> actual expertise is not easily communicated. My father, who worked for
> AT&T, mentioned a lawyer who repeated sued AT&T who settled out of
> court because such was cheaper than defending even against a claim
> without basis.)

in 90s, there was semantic analysis of patents and found that something
like 30% of "computer/technology" patents were filed in other categories
using ambiguous wording ... "submarine" patents (unlikely to be found in
normal patent search) ... waiting for somebody that was making lots of
money that could be sued for patent infringement.

other trivia: around turn of century was doing some security chip work
for financial institution and was asked to work with patent boutique
legal firm, eventually had 50 draft (all assigned) patents and the legal
firm predicted that there would be over hundred before done ... some
executive looked at the filing costs and directed all the claims be
repackaged as nine patents. then the patent office came back and said
they were getting tired of these humongous patents where the filing fee
didn't even cover the cost of reading the patents ... and directed the
claims be repackaged as at least a couple dozen paents.