Article <87h6b39imm.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87h6b39imm.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

From: Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Top 10 most common hard skills listed on resumes...
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 13:30:41 -0700
	<vafim7$1ubg8$1@dont-email.me> <vah4hr$2b9i8$5@dont-email.me>
	<vahngt$2dtm9$1@dont-email.me> <87r0abzcsj.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<vai1ec$2fns2$1@dont-email.me> <874j75zftu.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<valrj7$367a8$2@dont-email.me> <87mskwy9t1.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<vanq4h$3iieb$1@dont-email.me> <875xrkxlgo.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<vapitn$3u1ub$1@dont-email.me> <87o75bwlp8.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<vaps06$3vg8l$1@dont-email.me> <871q27weeh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<20240829083200.195@kylheku.com> <87v7zjuyd8.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<20240829084851.962@kylheku.com> <87mskvuxe9.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<vaq9tu$1te8$1@dont-email.me>

Bart <bc@freeuk.com> writes:
[...]
> So what exactly is different about the LHS and RHS here:
>
>    A = A;

The RHS is evaluated to determine the current value stored in the object
named A.  The LHS is evaluated to determine the object that's designated
by the name A; its current value is irrelevant.

In C terms, the RHS undergoes *lvalue conversion*, where an expression
that's an lvalue is converted to the value stored in the designated
object.  The LHS does not undergo lvalue conversion.

> (In BLISS, doing the same thing requires 'A = .A' AIUI; while 'A = A'
> is also valid, there is a hidden mismatch in indirection levels
> between left and right. It is asymmetric while in C it is symmetric,
> although seem to disagree on that latter point.)

Because BLISS, unlike C, does not have implicit lvalue conversion; the
prefix "." operator performs explicit lvalue conversion.  I presume the
"." operator isn't specific to assignments.

In C, the LHS and RHS are evaluated differently.  In BLISS, they're
evaluated in the same way, requiring an explicit operator to do what
done implicitly by context in C.  I'd call the former asymmetric and the
latter symmetric.