Article <87il1o44oi.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87il1o44oi.fsf@nosuchdomain.example.com>

From: Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Word For Today: =?utf-8?Q?=E2=80=9CUglification=E2=80=9D?=
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2024 19:19:57 -0700

scott@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) writes:
> Keith Thompson <Keith.S.Thompson+u@gmail.com> writes:
>>[...]
>>> For context, here's the entire file from my system (Ubuntu 24.0.4,
>>> package libc6-dev:amd64 2.35-0ubuntu3.6).  I get the impression that the
>>> author(s) decided not to use memset to avoid the required #include,
>>> which might increase compilation times for code that indirectly includes
>>> this header.  (I offer no opinion on whether that's a good tradeoff.)
>>[...]
>>
>>An older version did use memset().  It was changed to use a loop in
>>1997, with a commit message that included:
>>    "Don't use memset to prevent prototype trouble, use simple loop."
>>It may have been to avoid problems with pre-ANSI C compilers that didn't
>>support prototypes.  That's still speculation on my part.
>
> Here's the full fc20 version:
> $ rpm -q -f /usr/include/bits/select.h
> glibc-headers-2.18-19.fc20.x86_64

[...]
> #if defined __GNUC__ && __GNUC__ >= 2
[...]
> #else   /* ! GNU CC */
[...]
> #endif  /* GNU CC */
[...]

I don't see that in the GNU glibc git repo, even on branches with
"fedora" in their names.  Perhaps it's a change applied by Red Hat and
not propagated upstream.  (Though I'm not sure why Red Hat would need to
allow for glibc not being compiled by gcc.)

Working, but not speaking, for Medtronic