Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87ttexnqft.fsf@parhasard.net>

From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Word of the day: ?Papoose?
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2024 08:31:50 +0100

 Ar an dara lá de mí Méan Fómhair, scríobh Steve Hayes:

 > On Sun, 01 Sep 2024 15:39:20 -0400, Tony Cooper wrote:
 >
 > >>So it seems that people within the US understand "papoose" as referring
 > >>to a child, and outside the US it refers to a child holder?
 > >

 > > Please...write "some people".
 > >
 > > If I see an (American) Indian with a baby in a carrier strapped to her
 > > back, I would describe that as a woman with a papoose.
 > >
 > > However, if she removes the baby from the carrier and puts the baby on a
 > > blanket on the ground, I would not say the baby is a "papoose".
 > >
 > > You seem to want "people" in the US to all view things the same.
 >
 > The OP said (I think quoting a dictionary or some such source) that in AmE
 > "papoose" meant a child, but everyone from outside the US whose comments
 > I have seen seems to think it means a child holder.

The OP described that the word was new to him, explained that he had come
across it in a context where it described a child holder, and pasted the
definition from Wikipedia, which prioritises the “child” meaning. The OP has no
strong feelings on whether it means a child or a child holder, but comments
that the child holder meaning is more useful in that this type of
tightly-binding back-boarded structure has no other common word to describe it.

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’