Article <87ttidg07m.fsf@parhasard.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87ttidg07m.fsf@parhasard.net>

From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Maya Angelou died (28-5-2014)
Date: Fri, 31 May 2024 22:06:53 +0100

 Ar an t-aonú lá is triochad de mí Bealtaine, scríobh Athel Cornish-Bowden:

 > On 2024-05-31 07:50:03 +0000, Athel Cornish-Bowden said:

 > >> Actress Cécile de France is Belgian.
 > >
 > > Indeed. I didn't think of her, but I knew she was Belgian.
 >
 > An even more prominent example is François Hollande: he is not Dutch, but is
 > French.

Ian Fleming was also British, not from Flanders.

Ian Paisley was (and Ian Óg Paisley is) not from Paisley.

George C. Scott was from West Virginia, not Scotland.

Neither the actor James Franco nor the deceased caudillo of Spain have any
immediate family background in Franconia, nor even France.

Percy French, Irish songwriter, was not French by nationality.

Counterexample; Charles de Gaulle was French, but his name was Dutch.

Complication; Chester Nimitz was of recent German descent, but had US
nationality; his family name is of Slavic origin but designates a German.

I’m sure I could (and we could) keep going with these!

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’