Article <87v81ita77.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87v81ita77.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

From: Ben Bacarisse <ben@bsb.me.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: technology discussion =?utf-8?Q?=E2=86=92?= does the world need
 a "new" C ?
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2024 23:41:32 +0100

BGB <cr88192@gmail.com> writes:

> On 7/5/2024 5:40 PM, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> BGB <cr88192@gmail.com> writes:

>>> Errm, the strategy I would assume is, as noted:
>>>    int a[4][4];
>>>    l=a[j][k];
>>> Becomes:
>>>    int a[16];
>>>    l=a[j*4+k];
>> That's what you want to force me to write, but I can use and array of
>> arrays despite your arbitrary ban on them by simply putting the array in
>> a struct.
> IN most contexts, I don't really see how a struct is preferable to a
> multiply, but either way...

And I can't see how an array of arrays is harder for your compiler than
an array of structs.  C's indexing requires the compiler to know that
size of the items pointed to.

I suspect that there is something amiss with your design if you are
considering this limiting in order to simplify the compiler.  A simple
compiler should not care what kind of thing p points to in

  p[i]

only what size of object p points to.

> Whole language design is still a hypothetical at this point anyways (and my
> actual compiler does support multidimensional arrays).

Ah.  I think that when you've written most of it, you will see that
ruling out arrays of arrays will have not simplifying effect.

--
Ben.