Article <87v81xdnz3.fsf@mothra.home>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87v81xdnz3.fsf@mothra.home>

From: Radey Shouman <shouman@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Disc brake maintenance tips
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 11:46:40 -0400
	<4dlf7jpr04ludth2uvc7v4nbdc4f7aguki@4ax.com>
	<v59bqc$cir2$3@dont-email.me>
	<4peh7jds7q52sbdfei4rile29egc94hgqk@4ax.com>
	<v5afah$j22n$1@dont-email.me> <v5bt8n$rsn2$1@dont-email.me>
	<v5c1gf$vogi$1@dont-email.me> <v5c4ps$103ps$4@dont-email.me>

Frank Krygowski <frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> On 6/24/2024 10:57 AM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> .. and many modern cars, like mine, already ensure they stay in
>>> lane and keep enough distance to the car or bike ahead.
>>>
>>> By 2040, these kind of safety features will be present in more than
>>> 90% of the cars, so it will be meaningful for a cyclist to make
>>> sure the car LIDAR has seen him rather than the car driver...
>> Does that feature mean a driver cannot move over (slightly out of
>> lane) to give courteous space when passing a cyclist? I don't know.
>
> My car has lane departure warnings (beeps) plus selectable "Lane
> Centering Assist." Its camera looks for things like lane lines and
> either beeps or gently turns the wheel to try to keep the car centered
> in the lane.
>
> But the force applied is low, and very easily overcome when I choose
> to do so.
>
> Also, using the turn indicator (a strange concept for most American
> drivers!) disengages both those systems until the maneuver is
> complete.

Suppose you are driving down a two-lane road, with clear sight lines,
and want to pass a cyclist.  The lane is narrow enough that crossing the
center line is, if not required, at least considerate.  Moving entirely
into the opposite lane is overkill -- not required for a safe and
congenial pass.

Do you indicate a turn?  I do not, because it seems more likely to
mislead anyone seeing it than not.

On the other hand, your car does its best to get you to either indicate
a turn or simply not cross the center line.  Sure you *can*, but you
have additional incentives not to.

I have experienced modern lane-keeping features on rental cars, and
found them bothersome enough that I figured out how to turn them off.
But I suppose that I am an aging Luddite.