Article <87v84vecyk.fsf@yaxenu.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87v84vecyk.fsf@yaxenu.org>

From: Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.lisp
Subject: Re: Lisp history: IF, etc.
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2024 18:06:43 -0300
	<uu6t9h$dq4d$1@dont-email.me> <20240329104716.777@kylheku.com>
	<uu8p02$uebm$1@dont-email.me> <20240330112105.553@kylheku.com>
	<uudrfg$2cskm$1@dont-email.me> <87r0fp8lab.fsf@tudado.org>
	<uuehdj$2hshe$1@dont-email.me> <87wmpg7gpg.fsf@tudado.org>
	<LISP-20240402085115@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
	<20240402084057.881@kylheku.com>
	<86h6gjpq3i.fsf_-_@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<m3frw2vlok.fsf@leonis4.robolove.meer.net>
	<86cyr6pb2l.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<875xwy412p.fsf@nightsong.com>
	<868r1up0wk.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<871q7m3wrj.fsf@nightsong.com>
	<86zfu9ooux.fsf@williamsburg.bawden.org>
	<87frw03b4j.fsf@nightsong.com> <877chbfs00.fsf@yaxenu.org>

Julieta Shem <jshem@yaxenu.org> writes:

> Paul Rubin <no.email@nospam.invalid> writes:
>
>> Alan Bawden <alan@csail.mit.edu> writes:
>>> It's a common misconception that McCarthy was trying to turn Lambda
>>> Calculus into a programming language. ...  He added LAMBDA (and LABEL)
>>> because he needed LAMBDA in order to define recursive functions, but
>>> as he himself often admitted, he didn't really understand Lambda
>>> Calculus, he just needed the notation.
>>
>> I see, yes, and this is confirmed by his History of Lisp article.  His
>> Wikipedia biography also surprised me a bit.  For some reason I had
>> thought of him as an academic mathematical logician who later somehow
>> got involved with computers, but it was more like the other way around.
>> Thanks.
>
> His PhD was in mathematics---differential equations.  He would think up
> things like a simple function that is continuous but nowhere
> differentiable on the real line [1].  He was a mathematician by all
> accounts.  It's pretty hard to remove mathematics from computer science.
> The culture seems to be that if a mathematician contributes more to the
> field of computer science, he is called a computer scientist.
>
> I also agree that he was a logician: he worked on a mathematical basis
> for computer science.  A mathematical basis for computer science must be
> classified as logic.  He was interested in proving programs were
> correct.  His idea of a conditional expression is precisely to write
> mathematical functions in high precision.  Mathematics in high
> precision---that's a logician.
>
> The creation of LISP by John McCarthy was surely not at first with
> intention of a programming language.  In fact, it was Steve Russell, his
> student at the time, that first had the idea of implementing EVAL and
> did it.  I believe McCarthy was even somewhat surprised because, then,
> he did not think of LISP having that kind of purpose.

What happened next was that, some time in late 1958, Steve Russell, one
of McCarthy's grad students, looked at this definition of eval and
realized that if he translated it into machine language, the result
would be a Lisp interpreter.

This was a big surprise at the time. Here is what McCarthy said about it
later in an interview:

  Steve Russell said, look, why don't I program this eval..., and I said
  to him, ho, ho, you're confusing theory with practice, this eval is
  intended for reading, not for computing. But he went ahead and did
  it. That is, he compiled the eval in my paper into [IBM] 704 machine
  code, fixing bugs, and then advertised this as a Lisp interpreter,
  which it certainly was. So at that point Lisp had essentially the form
  that it has today....

Suddenly, in a matter of weeks I think, McCarthy found his theoretical
exercise transformed into an actual programming language-- and a more
powerful one than he had intended.

Source: Paul Graham's ``Revenge of the Nerds'', May 2002.
https://www.paulgraham.com/icad.html