Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87y163inp9.fsf@bsb.me.uk>

From: Ben Bacarisse <ben@bsb.me.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: question about nullptr
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2024 00:00:18 +0100
	<v6bfi1$3qn4u$1@dont-email.me> <l9ciO.7$cr5e.2@fx05.iad>
	<877cdyuq0f.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <2ckiO.19403$7Ej.4487@fx46.iad>
	<87plrpt4du.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <9bCiO.7108$sXW9.3805@fx41.iad>
	<87jzhwu5v9.fsf@bsb.me.uk> <20240708001722.280@kylheku.com>
	<v6gab6$qdd2$1@dont-email.me> <878qyctcdt.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<v6gf23$r5pf$1@dont-email.me> <8734ojua2s.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<v6h9su$vkip$1@dont-email.me> <87sewjsdc5.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<v6m9bn$1vbsi$1@dont-email.me> <87cynkommh.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<v6r6c7$3122q$1@dont-email.me> <87y166jh60.fsf@bsb.me.uk>
	<v6sn59$3dbk7$1@dont-email.me>

Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:

> On 13.07.2024 01:59, Ben Bacarisse wrote:
>> Janis Papanagnou <janis_papanagnou+ng@hotmail.com> writes:
>>>
>>> That's why I had problems to "explain" the reasons to you; because
>>> it's so universal a property, so obvious (as I said), that I don't
>>> know what else I could say.
>>
>> Yes, that's been the clear for a while now.  That's why, when you said
>> you could not say more, I was happy to leave it at that (my "ok").
>
> You again strip the post where my try for an explanation follows:

Of course; I have nothing to say about your explanation.  I understood
it from the very first time you posted it (although I suppose I might be
mistaken about that).  Nothing about it is in dispute.  Should I have
kept it and ignored it?

>>> What example could I give that explains that if you're looking for
>>> specific dedicated semantical values it's easier to look them up
>>> by [semantical] name than by a [ambiguous] number.
>
> Are those semantical names so meaningless to you?

No, I get it.

> Let's take the 'bool' sample; do you find it more helpful to look
> for numerical falues in the code than to look for standard literals
> like 'true' and 'false'? (It's not much different concerning 'NULL'.)

I have no recollection of an occasion when searching for true or false
has ever helped me to find a bug.  If you do, please recount the story.
That's the sort of thing that has been missing (for me).

> (But okay, given your last response patterns you seem to not be
> interested.)

I have always been interested in hearing more about your experiences
about what you called "bug-tracking".  That's why I asked "can you say
more?".  And when you said "no" I thought that would be the end of it.

(By the way, I still don't know what you mean by bug-tracking.  I've
assumed you mean tracking as in tracking down, i.e. finding and fixing
bugs rather than the more usual meaning of logging and recording details
of known bugs.)

--
Ben.