Article <87y17ouocg.fsf@mothra.home>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87y17ouocg.fsf@mothra.home>

From: Radey Shouman <shouman@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Riding after heavy manual labor
Date: Sat, 01 Jun 2024 21:26:23 -0400
	<GCl1O.5$XFC9.1@fx06.ams4> <afp1O.2$iJZe.1@fx44.iad>
	<mlgc4j59jett3eptn4918o63ccs1iti9c9@4ax.com>
	<v2kr3q$nc4p$2@dont-email.me>
	<40775j9866udi2dvonrq03bcpum5o8q3t0@4ax.com>
	<Zu75O.71697$vAv6.66355@fx18.iad>
	<hktb5jtc5gcloq387a5i8imvqv3c0c2j5f@4ax.com>
	<v35d6q$o77a$1@dont-email.me>
	<ebec5j50o2l4pkoboqu1voe563r90ci1f8@4ax.com>
	<DPl6O.13471$61Y8.6535@fx15.iad> <v3cq25$29evb$1@dont-email.me>
	<duqj5jho6teph0jl8dv8ksarnkf48sk3i4@4ax.com>
	<v3cr59$29l9k$1@dont-email.me> <v3d4fo$2bbr3$1@dont-email.me>
	<v3d57i$2beer$1@dont-email.me> <v3dbub$2c446$3@dont-email.me>
	<v3dhjq$2dd29$1@dont-email.me> <87jzj97hnd.fsf@mothra.home>
	<v3djrk$2dvbf$1@dont-email.me>

AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> writes:

> On 5/31/2024 5:15 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
>> AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> writes:

>>> They do of course and they system is not a filthy mugger's paradise
>>> like CTA and NYC trains:
>>>
>>> https://i.ytimg.com/vi/xd42CnVyU08/maxresdefault.jpg
>>>

>>> There's no litter or gum on the sidewalks, extremely low crime rate.
>>>
>>> I couldn't live there* but the actual citizens of Singapore
>>> overwhelmingly approve of city administration and have for
>>> decades.
>>>
>>> OTOH corruption, crime and filth combined with high Singapore level
>>> taxes lacks appeal as well:
>>>
>>> https://www.illinoispolicy.org/9-years-of-decline-expect-chicago-to-be-no-4-behind-houston-by-2035/
>>>

>>> *not only a question of liberty. Check out the rents!!
>>> https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/in/Singapore
>>  From
>> https://singaporelegaladvice.com/law-articles/caught-speeding-singapore/
>>     For serious traffic offences such as exceeding the speed limit
>> by more
>>     than 40 km/h, offenders will be prosecuted in court. In this situation,
>>     offenders can be fined up to $1,000 and/or jailed for up to 3 months for
>>     a first conviction in court.
>>     These maximum penalties are doubled for repeat offenders. Repeat
>>     offenders who have been convicted at least 2 times for exceeding the
>>     speed limit by more than 40 km/h may also face enhanced penalties under
>>     section 67(A) of the Road Traffic Act.
>>     In this case, the court may exercise its discretion to sentence
>> a repeat
>>     offender to up to 3 times the punishment that he would otherwise be
>>     liable for, subject to a jail term of up to 10 years. On top of that,
>>     repeat offenders who cause serious injury or death to another person may
>>     also be caned up to 6 strokes.
>> Exceeded the speed limit twice by more than 25 mph?
>

> By the way, if you were advising RNC on a convention venue, where?  I
> think Mr Krygowski asked a very good question.

I'm not sure the criteria for a convention city are the same or even similar
to those for a place to live.  Who can't stand a little dystopian
management if it's only for a few days?

There was a time when real decisions were made at party conventions.
Back in those days I would think a reliable telegraph office and several
suppliers of nickle cigars would have been the deciding factors.

These days are different.  The convention is but a somewhat boring tv
show for a shrinking audience and a chance to reward the party faithful
with a little junket.  This year the real Democrat convention will be a
zoom meeting, and literally nothing will be decided in the meatspace
convention weeks later (required so that Mr. Krygowski and his fellow
Ohio voters have the chance to tick the Brandon box).

I would have thought that the convention city might be chosen to reward
party hacks there, but it's hard to imagine too many Republican hacks in
Milwaukee, so that can't be it.

Given that the desiderata are a meaningless spectacle for the home crowd
and a fun time for the delegates, I suggest they use the desert playa
made famous by Burning Man.  It is something to see, even on tv, and the
organizers would get to show off their skills in providing any services
at all.  The secret service might be a little put out, but the desert
would have to be better than being bitten by ornery presidential dogs.

I understand Nevada will be a swing state this year, so there is that to
consider as well.