Article <87zfqf3zxy.fsf@parhasard.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87zfqf3zxy.fsf@parhasard.net>

From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Subject: Re: How long is a month of Sundays?
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2024 08:46:17 +0100

 Ar an seachtú lá déag de mí Iúil, scríobh lar3ryca:

 > [...] No idea. I haven't heard 'a month of Sundays' since Pontius was a
 > pilot. Alternatively, "since Christ was a carpenter".

I remember Nick Nicholas’ commenting that Greek has a similar phrase that
involves the idea of Jesus having to do his national service, which I found
very entertaining. Let me have a look; no luck with Google. Ah, excellent,
Yandex comes through:

https://hellenisteukontos.opoudjis.net/gtage-the-tsipras-edition-part-1/

“Last time I was here I saw the Christ soldier”

That cross-references to
https://hellenisteukontos.opoudjis.net/gtage-losing-ones-religion/ , which
involves the phrase “Είδε τον Χριστό φαντάρο”, “he saw GI Christ” and doesn’t
use it as a simile.

 > --
 > I asked a German gentleman if he knew the square root of 81.
 > He said "No".

Stimmt, [nœyn] heißt nicht [naɪn].

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’