Article <87zftvoi4c.fsf@parhasard.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<87zftvoi4c.fsf@parhasard.net>

From: Aidan Kehoe <kehoea@parhasard.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang
Subject: Re: Drop Everything and Read Day (12 April)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 20:32:19 +0100

 Ar an ceathrú lá déag de mí Aibreán, scríobh Ross Clark:

 > [...] The "sustained silent reading" was not Cleary's invention, or even
 > based on her own schooldays (though the Wiki article says that she did have
 > problems with reading in the early stages). It was her children who went to
 > schools where it was an established practice.
 >
 > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverly_Cleary

I would have loved this, if I had free rein to read whatever I wanted. I would
be very very surprised if that were the case wherever this is implemented
currently (e.g. I remember a family friend wondering if the Godfather was
age-appropriate for me at 13 or so; my parents had no issue with this (they
likely understood I was already reading far beyond the age-directed reading
material) but I am certain your average teacher of pupils of that age would
have.)

--
‘As I sat looking up at the Guinness ad, I could never figure out /
How your man stayed up on the surfboard after fourteen pints of stout’