Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<895daj58pqdi5h1dfrfrhqj660j5eps9h4@4ax.com>

From: Rich Ulrich <rich.ulrich@comcast.net>
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: PTD was the most-respected of the AUE regulars ...
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2024 15:10:24 -0400
References: <uvej5e$34pfl$8@dont-email.me> <v7mdjl$pq7n$3@dont-email.me> <nbcu9j5d7r8gbdngudbti83dg4agsl6knb@4ax.com> <v7u9oq$2dgbs$2@dont-email.me> <h316ajtor5bl617eb6hj50fda24gu0dd3u@4ax.com> <v7vo2i$2ou11$1@dont-email.me> <l0j9aj5dn44utrbn005f7h0cvtthnm4eqn@4ax.com> <v82kea$3bv95$1@dont-email.me> <fk8aajpcod5eeq8okojbonqtslbnujm92m@4ax.com> <lgmj01Fgtp1U1@mid.individual.net> <v85io9$3utgi$1@dont-email.me>

On Sun, 28 Jul 2024 14:57:29 +0100, Hibou
<vpaereru-unmonitored@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:

>Le 28/07/2024 à 10:57, occam a écrit :

>>> Anecdote: The great mathmetician/statistician Karl Pearson was
>>> also the first editor of Biometrika (for 35 years).  He described
>>> what we know as the Pearson chisquared test -- but for a few
>>> years, he insisted that it had 3 degrees of freedom, not 1.  And
>>> he refused to publish the folks who argued (what he finally
>>> conceded) for 1.
>>>
>>> This is frequent a characteristic of Aspergers Syndrome (which
>>> is a diagnosis no longer in the book; too bad).
>>
>> Whoa!  I'm no expert on Aspergers, but that is a big leap. There are
>> half a dozen cognitive biases that could equally explain Pearson's
>> behaviour.  Have a sift:
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cognitive_biases
>>
>> Just for starters:
>>
>> - Escalation of commitment:
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalation_of_commitment>
>>
>> - Illusory truth effect:
>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illusory_truth_effect>
>>
>> -  Big Ego. As the editor of Biometrika for 35 years, he would certainly
>> not like to be corrected.
>
>Yes, I don't think it's peculiar to Asperger's or autism. People often
>adopt positions without exploring them thoroughly, commit themselves,
>and then feel obliged to defend that commitment, even when it turns out
>they're wrong.
>
>It's not easy to admit one is wrong, but it has its advantages. It
>brings discussion to a halt, instead of prolonging it embarrassingly,
>and one gains Brownie points for valuing the truth.

Consider this combination:  Asserting something that is not true
is LYING.  LYING is very bad, like, a bad sin. So one is careful
in what one asserts.  And one does not want to admit to the
sin of being wrong. This creates a certain internal conflict,
because there is also the notion that a 'sin' should be something
that was intentional; and the original mis-statement is not
something that one regrets.

Bill (stats-resident Aspie) would justify his (very rare) backing
down by asserting that there are two different 'cases' and he
was thinking of the other (and more important, somehow) one.

--
Rich Ulrich