Article <8b6hbjhj8ne5qpl9qi1vbr2f719en73b94@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8b6hbjhj8ne5qpl9qi1vbr2f719en73b94@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Garmin altitude problems
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2024 07:14:17 -0400
References: <6he7bjp0qtkrif3t3n72q46tk0peot758q@4ax.com> <3Y0tO.41962$nLcd.12608@fx09.ams4> <gbn9bj9g6lg7bmfjcnr0pheah6b8nsjog5@4ax.com> <3aqabj58cc9e2fkintbin8c2v4kqqo0fhp@4ax.com> <d5icbjpe7men8nrimh37lu9cd3hnsvh7d8@4ax.com> <abbdbjhcae4uf1fqgd7df8ioof8rdd0ssu@4ax.com> <bubdbjdlj11teosdun77r4pj5qn3kdhe71@4ax.com> <li9ebjh2k7kij85184o819lahdqeo4qjst@4ax.com> <0VFtO.1135642$Liga.864589@fx15.ams4> <r8cebjhgsnodu7kl40s286d47js80jo4ja@4ax.com> <ej0uO.268277$4Vg4.196321@fx16.ams4>

On Sun, 11 Aug 2024 10:24:10 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Aug 2024 08:54:20 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
>> wrote:

>>> It is how GPS without a barometric sensor do but it?s less accurate though
>>> by how much and how much you care.
>>>
>>> I?m more likely to note the temperature with all the caveat?s though more
>>> likely in winter.
>>>
>>> Roger Merriman
>>
>> GPS altitude calculation should be more accurate if it can read four
>> satellites.
>>
>> ********************************
>> Is GPS Accurate for Altitude?
>> Private Pilot
>> Made Easy
>>
>> There is no such thing as a ?perfect? system, and GPS is no exception.
>> When it works, it is highly accurate. In fact, there are currently
>> plans to eventually replace conventional aviation navigation aids with
>> GPS (GBAS) landing systems.
>>
>> However, GPS altitude can be affected by the following: ?
>>
>>     Ionospheric errors ? The Earth is surrounded by layers of a dense
>> atmosphere that change in size and thickness depending on solar
>> activity and the time of day. This can cause minor altitude errors.
>>     Clock errors ? GPS clocks are phenomenally However, even a
>> minuscule disruption to their timing can cause errors. This doesn?t
>> happen often, and GPS receivers normally discard a timing signal they
>> recognize as erroneous.
>>     Rounding errors ? Generally, these errors are small, but in an
>> aircraft, precision matters.
>>     Satellite signal loss ? Like any piece of electrical equipment,
>> Satellites do sometimes stop working or are rebooted. For a GPS to
>> provide accurate altitude readings, it needs multiple satellites,
>> normally four. If the fourth drops out at a critical time, this could
>> cause issues.
>>
>> https://pilotinstitute.com/altimeter-vs-gps-altitude/
>>
>> *********************************
>>
>> I understand that using four satellites, time errors can be
>> compensated, and four satellites are required for altitude
>> calculations anyway.  It seems to me that the biggest problem with GPS
>> altitude is possible loss of satellite reception, which is a serious
>> issue for airplanes, but not such a big deal for land and sea
>> operations. Why Garmin and other land based GPS systems don't use GPS
>> altitude is a mystery to me.
>>
>All of the big three ie Garmin-Wahoo-Hammerhead on there upper end devices
>all have barometric sensors for improved accuracy, I’m assuming that while
>GPS Altitude is indeed more accurate flying or sailing, this isn’t the same
>cycling with sky cover and undulating land.
>
>Ie clearly must be some engineering reason to do so, most likely the above.
>
>Roger Merriman

I don't pay any attention to altitude on my rides, although it is
recorded on my Garmin computer. There are 30/40 foot variations in
maximum altitude when I compare identical rides, so whatever method
the computer uses is worthless.