Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8dad3d697c42ed77777a834dd369ec5e@www.novabbs.com>

From: dougstaples@gmx.com (LionelEdwards)
Newsgroups: sci.lang,alt.usage.english
Subject: Re: Ben Jonson born (11-6-1572)
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2024 07:26:48 +0000

HenHanna wrote:

> On 6/11/2024 3:42 AM, Ross Clark wrote:
>> Runner-up to Will Shakes in the "England's Got Playwrights" finals.

>               not Marlowe?

>> Jonson on language (briefly excerpted):
>>
>> A wise tongue should not be licentious and wandering...
>>
>> How much better is it to be silent, or at least to speak sparingly!
>>
>> Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee.
>>
>> [That's familiar -- who is he quoting there? Or is it him?]

>              isn't that what Romeo says?   --> No...

>                  it's prob  Socrates.

>> These are from a collection (a "commonplace book", not published in his
>>
>> lifetime) called:
>>
>> "Timber, or Discoveries made upon men and matter, as they have flowed
>> out of his daily readings, or had their reflux to his peculiar notion
>> of
>>
>> the times"

> why is it entitled  Timber???

 ..."as we are commonly used to call the infinite mixed
multitude of growing trees a wood, so the ancients gave
the name of Sylvæ—Timber Trees—to books of theirs in
which small works of various and diverse matter were
promiscuously brought together.”

<https://www.gutenberg.org/files/5134/5134-h/5134-h.htm>