Article <8dp72j1nh96kepcpm0qc6c6kb4efhgiijp@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8dp72j1nh96kepcpm0qc6c6kb4efhgiijp@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: Coumting bikes
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 12:18:57 -0400

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 11:28:59 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 4/19/2024 9:33 PM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> So the grumpiest person here, and the one with the most limited riding
>>> regime, thinks there's no joy or value in riding with others.
>>>
>>> On my most recent group ride, I had friendly conversation with at
>>> least 8 different people, and I was introduced to a few roads I'd
>>> never ridden, some with beautiful scenery. At the group ride's end, I
>>> carried on solo for another 16 miles or so at a higher pace.
>>>
>>> I'm happy to be able to enjoy riding with others or riding solo,
>>> riding fast or riding more slowly, riding for recreation or for utility.
>>>
>>> Some folks are much more limited.
>>>
>> That's your value judgement on a matter of personal taste.
>
>Wait - what part is my value judgment? You certainly can't be
>disagreeing with "some folks are much more limited"!
>
>> Meanwhile Mr Tricycle is free to ride wherever he likes with whomsoever
>> he pleases. Or with no one.
>
>Of course he is. I made no commandments.
>
>> I'm maybe less a misanthrope, but I quit 'group rides' 35 years ago and
>> don't miss them, or that sort of conversation,  at all.
>
>And I agree, that's (apparently) fine for you. Some folks like group
>rides, some don't. (For me, it depends on the group members.)

Me too. I prefer people who don't try to tell me what to do or
complain if I don't ride according to their plans and requirements.
Well, gosh, I guess that eliminates all group rides.

>But at the same time, you don't denigrate those who do choose to
>converse with others, or who choose to help others' riding in various
>ways - by showing them nice routes they might never discover, by helping
>them with mechanical problems, by giving riding tips to newbies, etc.
>
>I'm also willing to bet that you occasionally give some minor greeting
>to a stranger who greets you. At least, you don't brag about ignoring
>people who say hello. And (gosh!) you've actually posted photos of you
>riding with others! I certainly don't recall you insulting those who
>ride with friends.

Explaining that I don't understand why some people like to ride in
groups is not an insult.

>And about my "limited" comment: Everyone has limitations. I have several
>friends with capability limitations, including one who restricts his
>cycling almost entirely to paths, because of a combination of low power
>and nervousness. But he'd never say his bicycling life is as good as
>mine. He recognizes his limitations are detriments.

Imaginary friends are easy to understand.

>Similarly, what if we were to compare your mechanical skills with those
>of some newbie mechanic who could install a water bottle cage, but
>couldn't adjust a derailleur or install a crankset?

<EYEROLL> Comparing Mr Muzi's mechanical skill to somebody who can't
adjust a derailleur is not at all similar to comparing your bicycling
skills to millions of people who also know how to ride.

>Sure, one can use work-arounds (take it to the bike shop; or haul your
>bike to a nice safe path-to-nowhere). But lesser capabilities are
>detriments. That's fact.

Not doing something that one could do if they wanted to do it doesn't
seem like much a detriment.