Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8glm7jtlej8td7tu12dul6k16tb5kb9jjh@4ax.com>

From: Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: OT: Kids got an E-scooter?
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 17:07:45 -0700

On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 15:35:04 -0700, john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Jun 2024 22:03:41 -0000 (UTC), Phil Hobbs
><pcdhSpamMeSenseless@electrooptical.net> wrote:
>
>>john larkin <jl@650pot.com> wrote:

>>> Some are incredibly cheap, and I expect that most people park them
>>> indoors.
>>
>>Seems like the problem is that the fuel and oxidizer are stored way too
>>close together.
>>
>>If only we could separate them—hey, maybe we could save weight and be safer
>>by using air as oxidizer, and even more by not carrying the oxidized fuel
>>around!
>>
>>What an amazing advance that would be!
>>
>>Cheers
>>
>>Phil Hobbs
>
>Don't be silly. That's obviously impossible.

Ummm... Perhaps solid state batteries which do not use a flammable
electrolyte?
<https://www.samsungsdi.com/column/technology/detail/56462.html>
"...a solid-state battery with solid electrolyte shows improved
stability with a solid structure, and increased safety since it
maintains the form even if the electrolyte is damaged."
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_battery>
All that remains is to figure out how to upscale the technology to
larger batteries, eliminate the dendrite problems, and of course
reduce the high manufacturing cost.

If all else fails, there's always the Boeing solution to battery
fires.  Instead of replacing the LiCoO2 battery with a safer
chemistry, Boeing opted to entomb the battery in a 185 lb (84 kg) fire
proof steel box.  Anything to avoid having to re-certify the 787 for a
new backup battery chemistry.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2013_Boeing_787_Dreamliner_grounding#Solution>

--
Jeff Liebermann                 jeffl@cruzio.com