Article <8rhpdj12u6uqnli6dnmg8pp4ojgc8mru0s@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8rhpdj12u6uqnli6dnmg8pp4ojgc8mru0s@4ax.com>

From: "X, formerly known as \"!Jones\"" <x@y.com>
Newsgroups: talk.politics.guns
Subject: Re: Applying the Scientific Method...
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2024 17:20:19 -0500

If you have a medical emergency, stop reading, log off, and dial 911!
>> Can you tell us the meaning of "correlation" without resorting to
>> Google?
>
>You first.  Let's see your evidence that that gun proliferation and
>gun violence tend to have a positive correlation.  It should be
>easy for you since you claim the proof is as obvious as gravity.

I'm quite certain that I never used the term "proof".  I have retired
from editing research papers; however, when I did so, I assure you
that suggesting that your paper would *prove* something was the
fastest way to end up in my rejection bin.  Outside of theoretical
mathematics, nothing is ever proven... you can't even prove gravity.

I can define correlation, though.

*Every* set of points has some coefficient of correlation.  The gold
standard of correlational studies linking the presence of guns as a
risk factor of violence was "Gun Ownership as a Risk Factor for
Homicide in the Home" (October 7, 1993) New England Journal of
Medicine, VOL. 329 NO. 15, Kellermann, A.  The last time I looked at
its citation index was almost 20 years ago, and it already had several
thousand scholarly citations in peer-reviewed publications.  I know;
you don't *like* it... heh!  (Neither did the NRA, who spent millions
to suppress it.)  There are other studies, but that one stands well
above the rest.

In your court, sir.