Article <8rkvcjl23oci8ouf8b07jb4g18us8gjkpe@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8rkvcjl23oci8ouf8b07jb4g18us8gjkpe@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: People Without Meaningful Lives Seek Power Over Others
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2024 08:58:56 +0700

On Wed, 28 Aug 2024 10:08:23 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>On 8/27/2024 9:37 PM, AMuzi wrote:
>>
>> USA is a Constitutional Republic.
>>
>> Democracy is something else, for example where the Hutus wake up one
>> morning and kill the Tutsis. Because they can.
>>
>> Or more simply, two wolves and a sheep voting on lunch.
>
>There are very logical and practical reasons against running a country
>as a pure democracy. That's why its essentially never done.
>
>Even in a small town, can you imagine needing all the population to vote
>on every administrative decision? And can you imagine how random the
>votes would be, since very few voters would understand the context of
>the issue, or the consequences of their choice?
>
>And following the money, it would be easy for those with profits at
>stake to flood the citizens with misinformation, to buy the result they
>wanted.

I grew up in a small New England town and it was governed by a pure
democratic system. We had "Town Meeting Day" where everyone met in the
"Movie Theater" and elected a "Select Man" for the next year. Each
department head had to get up and defend their department's actions
over the previous year and justify any unusual actions planned for
next year.

It's still governed in a similar manner, a 9 man elected City Council
who elect or appoint a City Manager who handles the day to day
programs.

--
Cheers,

John B.