Article <8tsd6jdnnftjl67dqk7u3aovbmhq5ltf9c@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<8tsd6jdnnftjl67dqk7u3aovbmhq5ltf9c@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: No more 60 mile rides until it cools down
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2024 08:58:25 -0400

On Mon, 10 Jun 2024 12:21:27 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:
>>
>> I started out feeling really good. I'd changed my return chain path,
>> and cleaned the wax residue off the chain and idlers. The power side
>> idler had heavy wax buildup on both sides which was creating friction.
>> With the wax mostly removed, I lubed with Finish Line Dry.
>> Unfortunately, the change to the return chain path caused some
>> misshifting which needed to be corrected. It shifted all 27 gears fine
>> in the shop, but not on the ride. Once corrected, I had no more
>> problems with it.
>>
>> More unfortunate happenings were two flat tires on the 26 inch rear. I
>> replaced the first one and patched the second. The first one was a
>> piece of glass, probably from an auto accident on one of my road
>> crossings. The second one was ????. It was a pinhole leak, easily
>> patched with Park Tool patch kit.
>>
>> Sitting on the ground in the heat working on the tires depleted my
>> water supply (I had five 24oz Gatorades and one plain water) so
>> resuming my ride created leg muscle cramps. (Sartorius muscle again) I
>> could only pedal very easily, sometimes with just one leg, for a mile
>> or so before having to stop, get off and walk around. Eventually, I
>> came to a location where I could refill my water and the cramps let up
>> and I was back to my usual speed for the rest of the ride.
>>
>> End result was 60 miles with a moving time of 5 hrs and a total time
>> of 9 hrs. I had a total liquid consumption of 10 24 oz bottles and
>> still lost five lbs. average temperature according to Garmin was 95
>> degrees.
>>
>> My wife, who was following my GPS on her phone called several times to
>> check on me. I promised, NO more 60 mile rides in that heat.
>>

>Sounds like a ride to forget which does occasionally happen!

Before the flats, I'd passed two locations where I could have refilled
my empty bottles but didn't do it. I won't make that mistake again.

>Fairly unlucky with the punctures as thought you run Marathon’s? Which in
>my experience are fairly robust tires.

Yes, Marathon originals, but the rear is getting a bit thin. I
normally carry two front tire tubes and one rear tire tube. I think
I'll start carrying two rears. I always check the tire for problems
after I get a flat, and although I don't think I needed to do it, I
put in a tire boot where the glass came through, so that was not the
cause of the second leak. I should mention how difficult it is to find
a pinhole leak when you're sitting in the grass a near a high speed
limited access highway. I also have to find a way to better mark the
location of the leak on the tube so I don't have to look for it twice.
Maybe a red permanent marker.

>I have front tire that keeps leaking a bit of fluid which is mildly
>annoying!

For small leaks, I always check the valve stem.