Article <9iqsdjh1d929ane5u7jfo4j7bbvj2jkjjd@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<9iqsdjh1d929ane5u7jfo4j7bbvj2jkjjd@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: BOLO pervert cyclist
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2024 11:38:59 +0700
References: <vbf1g1$r1ti$1@dont-email.me> <v26ndj5b4038brf60dhms4jqluln99fcq0@4ax.com> <vbga1p$10phu$6@dont-email.me> <5sindjpqbq0lks6kn3but34lsisqsf0ooo@4ax.com> <vbhq2m$1dkbr$1@dont-email.me> <nprodj1a2j64r86l99qcsb1pr0tr92bing@4ax.com> <h1updjt2ks04gboo1829o4vhb5tt91rbgf@4ax.com> <vbj3nr$1pico$3@dont-email.me> <vbkf7s$1v0hh$8@dont-email.me> <vbksu1$216mu$1@dont-email.me> <s66sdjhbqs88k35pcr7a0obmruohoeq2ut@4ax.com>

On Sun, 08 Sep 2024 18:01:10 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Sun, 8 Sep 2024 15:12:00 -0400, Frank Krygowski
><frkrygow@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Good old Frankie... there have been restrictive gun laws since the
1930's.

>>> Nonsense.
>>>
>>> We live among citizens who truly and sincerely want to abolish personal
>>> autos and trucks.  You are not among them but that's a difference in
>>> degree rather than general outlook.
>>
>>Banning cars and trucks is a tangential point, one I did not address;
>>and in raising it you are yet again focusing on a minuscule portion of
>>the population. I've absolutely never met anyone who wanted to abolish
>>personal cars and trucks.
>>
>>> Many view the NFAs (1936, 1968 et seq)  as unconstitutional considering
>>> the plain language of the 2d Amendment, but that is a political dead
>>> end.  Just as dead as 'banning autos'.
>>
>>Yes, there are far more who consider _any_ restriction on guns to be
>>unconstitutional. (Far more than the ~zero who want to ban personal cars
>>and trucks.) Those people were rightfully considered nut cases from
>>roughly the 1790s until the well financed takeover of the court system
>>within the past 20 or so years. I say that because there were reasonable
>>restrictions on firearms right from the nation's beginning.

Yup, and the earliest I have found are:

https://www.claytoncramer.com/popular/GunControlColonialNewEngland2.PDF
,some gun control laws of Massachusetts,
Plymouth, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

required nearly everyone to own gun,
and to carry that gun to church, or when traveling away from home.

Connecticut’s 1650 laws required
everyone above the age of 16, with a few exceptions, to own “a good
musket or other gun, fit for service….”1

A 1636 law required every militiaman
to have two pounds of gunpowder and 20 bullets at home “before the end
of August
next.” The militia officer for each settlement was to “take view of
their several Arms
whether they be serviceable or no.” [spelling modernized in all
quotations in this article]
In 1637, Connecticut changed the law very slightly, with a fine of
five shillings for each
failure to appear so armed with a gun and ammunition.2

https://www.claytoncramer.com/popular/MiddleSouthernColonialGunControl.PDF
Gun Control in the Middle & Southern Colonies

Shortly after the Dutch colony of New Netherlands was taken over by
England, and
renamed New York, the Duke of York gave orders for the arming of its
people. “Besides
the general stock of each town, every male within this government from
sixteen to sixty
years of age” with a few exceptions, was required to be armed. Heads
of households
were required to arm themselves at their own expense; “if sons or
Servants, at their
Parents and Masters Charge and Cost….” If you were not armed, the
penalty was five shillings

Maryland also required its free population to be armed. Lord Baltimore
was the
founder of Maryland. (You are allowed one guess for whom Maryland’s
largest city is
named.) He gave instructions to settlers emigrating to Maryland,
including a very
detailed list of tools, clothing, and food to bring with them. On that
list, for each man,
“Item, one musket… Item, 10 pound of Powder… Item, 40 pound of Lead,
Bullets,
Pistoll and Goose shot, of each sort some…

February or March of 1638 required “that every house keeper or
housekeepers within this Province shall have
ready continually upon all occasions within his her or their house…
for every person
within his her or their house able to bear arms, one serviceable
[working] gun” along with
a pound of gunpowder, four pounds of pistol or musket shot, “match for
matchlocks and of flints for firelocks….”

Want to discuss "restrictions on firearms right from the nation's
beginning" And it might be noted that my references are from the real
"beginning".

--
Cheers,

John B.