Article <AE2L2lzGJn13Z_4dg3bpJC59QsA@jntp>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<AE2L2lzGJn13Z_4dg3bpJC59QsA@jntp>

Subject: Re: the notion of counter-intuitiveness in relativistic physics
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
JNTP-HashClient: SuxzjUGdiImm0hSjGuuD41xYUZE
JNTP-ThreadID: azmKI4HvnEJnqvnVFsjpWB8pljI
JNTP-Uri: http://news2.nemoweb.net/?DataID=AE2L2lzGJn13Z_4dg3bpJC59QsA@jntp
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 24 14:44:15 +0000
From:  Richard Hachel   <r.hachel@jesauspu.fr>

Le 07/08/2024 à 16:25, hitlong@yahoo.com (gharnagel) a écrit :
> On Wed, 7 Aug 2024 13:18:33 +0000, Richard Hachel wrote:
>>
>> Le 07/08/2024 à 12:09, film.art@gmail.com (JanPB) a écrit :
>> >
>> > Your biggest problem at this time is that you cannot understand the
>> > explanations given to you.
>>
>> <http://news2.nemoweb.net/jntp?74ipUL6JcQu72w-mbGQ7BbVp7kU@jntp/Data.Media:1>
>>
>> I laughed.
>>
>> R.H.
>
> Hmm, doesn't look like a laugh.  Maybe an OMG!  Meaning, you just
> realized that Jan is right.  Well, maybe a laugh would be appropriate,
> too, meaning "how could I have been so wrong!"
>
> You come up with your D'=D.sqrt[(1+Vo/c)/(1-Vo/c)], which isn't length
> contraction but Doppler shift, which is dependent on the sign of your
> Vo.  LC is NOT so dependent.  It would be a VERY strange universe if
> it were.

You say: "it's a Doppler shift".
And for sqrt(1-Vo²/c²)?
Isn't it a Doppler shift?
Yes, it's also a Doppler shift.
This is what Hachel calls the "internal Doppler effect".
Relativists call it the transverse Doppler effect, but the term is neither
fair nor pretty.
I am saddened to see how we can define the concepts so badly, and I
understand why we have been stuck for 120 years without producing much
(except me).
What differentiates physicists from me is that for me, there are not two
effects, one relativistic, the other classical Doppler.
For me, there is only one logical effect.
Not two.
The longitudinal Doppler effect is already a relativistic effect.
When Römer observes the moons of Jupiter, his measurements are correct:
but he will say: "When you cut a dog's legs, it no longer comes when you
hit its bowl to eat: cutting a dog's legs affects its eardrums".
I would prefer that we speak of internal Doppler effect, and external
Doppler effect. The terms would be more accurate.
Longitudinal Doppler effect, I understand, and it is not necessarily
wrong, but transverse Doppler effect, it is a bit ridiculous as a
denomination (as if there were a transverse external Doppler effect). It
is absurd.
The problem is internal and reciprocal and is diffused to all external
emission, it is not "transverse".

R.H.