Article <C-20240823115550@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<C-20240823115550@ram.dialup.fu-berlin.de>

From: ram@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Stefan Ram)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: valgrind leak I can't find
Date: 23 Aug 2024 11:03:32 GMT

Mark Summerfield <mark@qtrac.eu> wrote or quoted:
>I don't want to post the code since it is just for me relearning C.

  It's totally your prerogative if you wanna keep your code
  on the down-low. No need to spill the beans.

  But just to cut through the fog in your logic, your "since" reasoning
  is a bit of a brain-bender: If I'm cranking out some code to sharpen
  my C chops, that's no reason to bury it six feet under later on.

>(I'm creating a tiny collections lib: Vec (of void*), VecStr, VecInt,
>SetInt, SetStr.)

  Yeah, for sure. But we got to wonder if these are really
  meat-and-potatoes C problems . . .

  Scope out what C was cooked up for in the first place. Eyeball
  those vintage UNIX source files: "find.c", "echo.c", "tar.c",
  "ls.c", "zork.c", "tail.c", and all that noise. How many of
  those kick off with a container library?

  What gnarly waves are you missing out on in efficient and
  idiomatic C programming by thinking, "I'll use my container
  library and write C like it's some Silicon Valley startup code!"