Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<HtCdnUH8q_B42Kj7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@giganews.com>

Date: Fri, 3 May 2024 16:15:26 -0400
From: bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
Subject: Re: is my phone ON or is it OFF?
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android
 <_WqdnbuEleN1r6n7nZ2dnZfqn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>
 <v132r1.oo4.1@ID-201911.user.individual.net>

On 5/3/24 10:19, Frank Slootweg wrote:
> bad?sector <forgetski@_invalid.net> wrote:

>    Why do you need an unlimited plan if you only want/need cals and SMS?

I need a wifi hotspot because my internet provider is in a transition
period with tons of outages, unfortunately except for brief periods my
expensive smartphone wifi acces is useless too. This issue should
resolve before year's end but I will still need a wide band backup of
some capacity.

>> 					        But cost is NOT the issue
>> nor the topic which is "is my smartphone ON or OFF including on-hook
>> off" conditions which IMO are not that obvious all the time nor is their
>> setting as simple and intuitive as it could and should be.
>>
>> When designing something as important as a communications tool or its OS
>> for the masses you sit down with a number of people who have never used
>> a cell phone and give them one asking 'is that phone ON or is it OFF
>> right now as it is'? In the event of no answer or a wrong answer it's
>> back to the drawing board UNTIL YOU GET IT RIGHT! Ditto for putting
>> on-hook or turning off without reading any manual in which context I
>> also want to see removable batteries.
>
>    As I mentioned - and neither you nor anybody else debunked -, with
> smartphones, 'dumb' phones and even 'cordless' ('landline') phones,
> there *is* no on-hook/off-hook problem scenario.
>
>    The on/off demand is unsolvable (without instructions/a_manual)

No it isn't. Motion sensor and a LOUD display briefly flashing "ON" on
all screens so no display means it's OFF. No one needs a manual for that
much.

>    As to (easily, user) removable batteries: Don't hold your breath.

No problemo, in fact I will sleep just as well if smart phones anf half
of humanity vanish altogether but meanwhile I accept one of only two
constraints and that with respect to just about anything: feasability
and demand. These features are doable, demand will decide the rest.
Those that can't keep up with the fast dogs should stay home on the
porch like those carmakers who once said that electric starters needed
large batteries and were for women only anyway.

--
Some people cannot think outside the box, forever complaining that they
cannot find it.