Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<MPG.407c6e52b11a9e50989f4f@news.eternal-september.org>

From: Ralph Mowery <rmowery42@charter.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Subject: Re: Favourite Test Equipment
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 09:48:54 -0400

In article <hqm41jp3o9stavmgk86j8nmqhm49a8co72@4ax.com>,
cd@notformail.com says...

> >No, but is differentiating products on softwar supplies any different from
> >differentiating them on hardware?  Cheap ones simply wouldn't be available to
> >hobbyists if they had to sell them all as top of the range, where they make
> >the money for the effort to make a high bandwidth scope.  There is also the
> >advantage that they can perhaps be hacked by well-informed hobbyists, but most
> >commercial buyers wouldn't be happy doing that for one or another reason.
>
> AFAIC, it *does* matter if the limitations are in hardware or
> software. In the case of scopes for example, good  bandwidth don't
> come cheap! So if you're going to go to the expense of developing high
> bandwidth capability it just seems like self-mutilation to cripple all
> that hard work to produce an inferior product.

From what I am seeing on the Internet there are some scopes that the
software limits them but to get the full bandwidth some components need
to be changed.  I bought a China function generator and while it does
not have a software upgrade there are several components to be changed
that make it function better at higher frequencies.

 I heard some cars have functions that can be turned on and off remotely
so they can charge you yearly.

The sat and cable TV is like that .  The equipment is the same but they
only enable the channels you pay for.