Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<MPG.409d7e686af203a8989f67@news.eternal-september.org>

From: Ralph Mowery <rmowery42@charter.net>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: AM radio law opposed by tech and auto industries is close to passing
Date: Thu, 2 May 2024 11:42:19 -0400

In article <v0v81o$96oj$1@solani.org>, alien@comet.invalid says...

> AM radio law opposed by tech and auto industries is close to passing
>  https://arstechnica.com/cars/2024/05/am-radio-is-a-lifeline-lawmakers-say-tech-and-auto-industries-disagree/
> A recent test of the emergency alert system found only 1 percent got it via AM.
>
> Strange. most is FM these days, or digital?
> Something to do with Soros buying radio stations ;-) ?

This is a US law in the making.
Those electric cars generate a lot of radio interferance that can be
mostly eliminated but it will cost the car makers money to do that.

They remind me of a car a friend had about 50 years ago.  He replaced
the resistor wiring with regular wire. You could tell when he was about
3 blocks away by the way the TV set was messing up.  When he was about a
block away most TV sets would be totally useless. This was back when
most  all TV sets were using outside antennas as there was not much if
any cable around.

I hate to think of what it would be like for my hobby of han radio if
there were many EVs on the road.  Would probalby make most frequencies
useless.

There is a local radio station that plays songs of the 50 to 70 era that
I like to listen to when in the car if I am not using the recordings on
the USB drive.