Article <MPG.40f5bda4bd6a0e68989d5b@news.individual.net>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<MPG.40f5bda4bd6a0e68989d5b@news.individual.net>

From: Janet <nobody@home.com>
Newsgroups: alt.usage.english,sci.lang
Subject: Re: [de]"Schnitzel"
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 2024 10:11:37 +0100

In article <v6fldl$n6vb$1@dont-email.me>, jbb@notatt.com
says...

> On 7/7/2024 9:02 PM, HenHanna wrote:
> > On 1/29/2024 12:17 AM, Stefan Ram wrote:
> >>    I tried to find an English expression for the German word
> >>    "paniertes Schnitzel".
> >>
> >>    The English word "schnitzel" refers to something that is
> >>    breaded.

        Er, you have that back to front. The fact English
speakers know what schnitzel is, and that it's been
breaded, but that  doesn't mean that (in English) any and
every breaded something, is called schnitzel.

 (The English word "schnitzel" refers to what is called
> >>    "/Wiener/ Schnitzel" in German.) A German "Schnitzel" does not
> >>    necessarily have to be breaded, but in this case I am thinking
> >>    of a "paniertes Schnitzel", i.e., a breaded "Schnitzel".
> >>
> >>    From the etymology of "Schnitzel", it is something like a
> >>    "cutlet", but the German words "Kotelett" and "Schnitzel"
> >>    have taken on a more specific meanings each.
> >>
> >>    The German "Schnitzel" usually is taken from the /leg of pork/.
> >>    (I am thinking of pork, "Schweineschnitzel". A German "Schnitzel"
> >>    could also be some other kind of meat, like veal.)
> >>
> >>    The word "cutlet" alone would not convey this origin from the
> >>    leg. Therefore, my current best approximation to
> >>
> >>                    "paniertes Schweineschnitzel"
> >>
> >>    in English is
> >>
> >>                      "breaded pork leg cutlet".

      wiki says

 Etymology
The German word schnitzel (Middle High German: snitzel) is
a diminutive of sniz, 'slice'.

         In the pork or veal schnitzel recipe,a thin cut
of meat is pounded even thinner to tenderise it before
being breaded and fried.

   Janet