Article <MomcnZbW0fcb5lP7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<MomcnZbW0fcb5lP7nZ2dnZfqnPGdnZ2d@earthlink.com>

Subject: Re: Desktop file "flies" away
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
From: "186282@ud0s4.net" <186283@ud0s4.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2024 21:21:09 -0400

On 8/27/24 5:28 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
> On 27/08/2024 09:36, 186282@ud0s4.net wrote:
>> As for the Linux distro - not all THAT much diff
>>    anymore as to where 'Desktop' is located. If this
>>    was a real prob, well, and I had a Win user who
>>    did this too often, had to increase the time SAMBA
>>    kept backups because of her bad mouse-skills. She
>>    once dragged an ENTIRE share into the Win trash.
>
> I bui8lt a linux system for an ageing friend. He managed to drag the
> *entire* desktop folder into the desktop folder.
>
> So the file tree was /home/usr/Desktop/Desktop/****
>
> I take my hat off to him. Sheer genius

   Indeed pure genius. GUI file-managers make this all
   the easier. Cut tree, paste tree into the same dir.

   For all my years doing corp work, it was just *amazing*
   how *many* ways users could figure out how to screw
   things up  :-)

   The unsteady-mouse lady was actually highly intelligent
   and organized - valuable. However she constantly drank
   HUGE coffees all day. I think this got her nerves
   over-active and, when in a hurry or distracted, she'd
   just make overly-large cut-n-pastes. Anyway, DID have
   to revise wastebasket-retention policy JUST to make
   sure she couldn't do permanent mass damage. A mere
   few days wasn't good enough - she might not need a
   particular dir tree for a week or two depending and
   then it's "Where did it GO ???!!!".

   Similar frustrations with DBs - I'd say up to HALF the
   code associated with any prompt was crude 'AI' intended
   to detect/flag/fix user errors. SAYS "Date" and they'd
   want to put a SS number in there or a date WAY out of
   bounds. We had one euro native and she'd unthinkingly
   do dates in the euro day-month format instead of the
   US month-day. A lot of dates have numbers that are
   within bounds either way ... "5/10/" vs "10/5/" so
   this was a real pain in the ass and other context
   clues had to be examined during the save phase.