Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<QUWdnV4pIKBOxOb7nZ2dnZfqnPednZ2d@giganews.com>

Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2024 19:59:15 -0400
From: =?UTF-8?B?YmFk8J+SvXNlY3Rvcg==?= <forgetski@_INVALID.net>
Subject: Re: app for precision coordinates
Newsgroups: comp.mobile.android

On 6/24/24 13:27, VanguardLH wrote:
> bad sector <forgetski@_INVALID.net> wrote:

>>> I would think GPS would work to record the locations of the trees.
>>> While different GPS receivers have varying levels of accuracy, even your
>>> phone's GPS radio should suffice.  After all, the trees have to be
>>> planted far enough apart to account for their canopies.
>>>
>>> https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/media/crecifasufledu/extension/plant-pathology-/greening/pdf/GPSAccuracyforTreeScouting.pdf
>>> https://fruitgrowersnews.com/article/precise-gps-systems-increase-planting-efficiency/
>>>
>>> Since you are at site when planting the trees, use GPS to record where
>>> you planted.  Then use the GPS coordinates, or convert to long-lat, to
>>> position in a map.
>>>
>>> GPS radios in smart phones are accurate to within 3 to 5 meters (1o to
>>> 16 feet).  Don't know far apart you are planting the seedling to account
>>> for their canopy sizes later in life.  If a smart phone's GPS isn't
>>> accurate enough, you can buy GPS receivers that are more accurate.
>>>
>>> I figure if a hand-held GPS navigator is good for recording trails that
>>> it is probably sufficient to record tree locations.
>>
>> thanks for the time to respond
>>
>> I once bought a garmin gps camera attachment for my slr camera but it
>> too was wishy washy; never even tried composing blobs with it. With 900
>> trees (and growing) the only 'involvement' I have time for is putting
>> the smart-phone down and leaving it there to collect its wanderings over
>> maybe fifteen minutes or less. The trees are at different distances but
>> what I want is 1-foot accuracy not so much because it's indispensible
>> but because I'm a sucker for at least a semblance of reality.
>> Google-Earth placemarks is one tool I use giving the trees icons
>> representing the tree species. Ideally I'd like to attach an actual
>> photo of the tree to appear in a popup on click or something along those
>> lines and all of it uploaded instead of locally stored.
>>
>> Not sure if math averaging would give the same result as hitting the
>> center of plotted coordinates but with the processing utility in a phone
>> an APP could ideally produce the ultimately VERY accurate result ...just
>> like I once did with a bubble sextant meant to produce plots in terms of
>> miles at the center of triangles of probabilty. That stunt took half an
>> hour per reading and I did maybe fifty on each of two corners, I forget
>> the actual number, it was a royal pissing contest :-)
>
> I think averaging would only work well if you managed to get the GPS
> device connected to different GPS satellites within reach.  Then repeat
> by using another different set of 3 GPS satellites.  I would think
> reusing the same 3 GPS satellites to get multiple readings from them
> would result in the same offset (inaccuracy) in each reading.  However,
> maybe walking around in a circle around the focus point to take multiple
> readings might work to average the multiple readings from the same set
> of 3 satellites.

> [...]

I launch the F-Droid app *GPSTest* which tunes in a long list of satellites.

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.android.gpstest.osmdroid/

I have no idea how it arrives at the annunciated Lat-Long but it's
changing continuously and what I have in mind is an automated way of
virtually plotting these positions over a few minutes and picking the
plot-centerpoint as THE position. I haven't tried any of the math yet to
get a feel for those 7 decimal readouts and what they mean in terms of
feet but I figure that there must be some added precision to squeeze out
of THEM as opposed to just any ONE of them.