Article <a0caca80477f765b694ba9ecadf4cbb108eae5e1@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<a0caca80477f765b694ba9ecadf4cbb108eae5e1@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Proof that DDD specifies non-halting behavior --- Mike correcting
 Joes
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2024 10:18:43 -0400
 <v9md9p$19n30$1@dont-email.me> <v9mscu$1bdeu$1@dont-email.me>
 <v9ni0a$1dvef$6@dont-email.me>

On 8/16/24 8:51 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/16/2024 1:42 AM, Fred. Zwarts wrote:

>>> That is the part that Joes and Fred do not understand.
>>>

>> You do not understand what we say. I have repeated many times that the
>> simulated HHH is aborted before it would halt by itself.
>
> void DDD()
> {
>    HHH(DDD);
>    return;
> }
>
> DDD emulated by HHH according to the semantics of the
> x86 language would never halt by itself.

But it does if the HHH that DDD calls is the HHH that you actually have
that does abort its simulation.

You just LIE to everyone by pretending that HHH can somehow do this
magical compete simulate and still get an answer.

Yes, *IF* your HHH actually does that complete emulation by the xx86
language, then DDD will not return, but that is just a fantasy, because
that isn't the HHH that you supply, and changing HHH changes the program
DDD so you just compound your lies.

>> The simulating HHH fails to reach that point, proving an incomplete
>> simulation.
>
> void Infinite_Recursion()
> {
>    Infinite_Recursion();
>    OutputString("I never make it here!\n");
> }
>
> Unreachable code is unreachable code.

Right, and reachable code is reachable code, becuase HHH is the program
that it is.

Since you claim HHH will "correctly" abort its simulation, we can know
that HHH will abort its simulation and see if it was correct about it.
SInce it has been stipulated that HHH does abort its simulation here,
then it WILL return to DDD and DDD WILL Halt, and thus the CORRECT
answer that HHH needed to have returned to be correct was Halting, and
since that isn't what it did, it just isn't correct and your claim it
was is just a LIE.

>> That is what you do not understand, either because of incompetence, or
>> unwillingness.
>
> You might not even understand the above simple example.

Sure I do, but it seems you don't.