Article <a5lsdjtl1gmniin50jgap10rfm11t1t8d1@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<a5lsdjtl1gmniin50jgap10rfm11t1t8d1@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: BOLO pervert cyclist
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2024 09:01:29 +0700
References: <vbhq2m$1dkbr$1@dont-email.me> <vbhqdj$1dnp0$2@dont-email.me> <vbi2vi$1ev12$1@dont-email.me> <h9tpdj5rb1pkdq4mn4stg17jps7br03qkt@4ax.com> <vbj38n$1pico$1@dont-email.me> <qi4qdjlntjk9i0ogdr67ta8t3kh5onl82e@4ax.com> <vbj5t7$1pico$8@dont-email.me> <2ubqdjdof7vkbrcmijhnnm7gicoh1lajl3@4ax.com> <vbktb2$216mu$2@dont-email.me> <89urdjpe5p0t28t1g2adr815r0ak0mtm47@4ax.com> <ra4sdj9afnv17qvujsnfeeubbucfkjv51t@4ax.com> <vbl5sq$22i6i$2@dont-email.me>

On Sun, 8 Sep 2024 16:44:59 -0500, AMuzi <am@yellowjersey.org> wrote:

>On 9/8/2024 4:08 PM, Catrike Ryder wrote:
>> On Sun, 08 Sep 2024 12:56:35 -0700, Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@cruzio.com>
>> wrote:

>>> True.  The manufacturers find a market and produce a machine that
>>> sells in that market.  Promotion (mostly based on the image the buyer
>>> is trying to emulate) is automatic for every type of vehicle.  You may
>>> have bought an EV because you believe that you're environmentally
>>> conscious and want everyone who sees you in your EV to know it.

>>> Correct.  Nobody admits to hidden motivations.  You ran into that when
>>> you repeatedly asked if owning a gun has a practical purpose in our
>>> society.  You got silence for an answer.  Nobody replied.  I watched
>>> it develop and finally got sick of your repetitious questions.  So, I
>>> provided a real answer.  They want to have a gun in case something
>>> goes wrong while praying they have to use it.  The gun buyer doesn't
>>> know when or how he may eventually be forced into using a gun.  He
>>> just doesn't want to be the only person in the room that can't defend
>>> himself.  If that's paranoia or irrational fear, that fine.  This
>>> country was founding on our (irrational) fear of British domination.
>>> The problem is that's not an acceptable justification for owning a
>>> gun, so you don't hear that from many gun owners.
>>>
>>> Now, back to the monster trucks.  There are few rational reasons for
>>> buying a monster truck.  One reason is money.  When they first started
>>> to appear, the dealers were having problems clearing their inventory.
>>> You could buy one of these trucks at a substantial discount on good
>>> terms.  The prospective buyer was faced with a difficult choice.  He
>>> could buy a more conventional and practical new car and pay the tax,
>>> or he could buy a discounted gas guzzler for about the same price. The
>>> monster truck seems like the best value (in the short run).  Add to
>>> that the promotional advertising portraying the buyer as being very
>>> macho, hard working, etc exactly like the now dead lumberjack look.
>>> Perception is everything and for those who are perceived as lacking
>>> they will do almost anything, including buying impractical pickup
>>> trucks, to change how they are perceived.

>>> I'm not sure, but I think that price inflation started after Covid
>>> officially ended.  Prior to that, you could price such pickup trucks
>>> by their price divided by their curb weight.  I'll need to do the math
>>> before I'm claim that with certainty.

>>> Yep.  That's a fair summary of what I wrote.  Saving a few thousand on
>>> the tax was an added bonus, but also one of the few tangible bonus's.
>>> If you want how it really works, read anything by Vance Packard:
>>> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vance_Packard>
>>> Start here:
>>> <https://www.amazon.com/Hidden-Persuaders-Vance-Packard/dp/097884310X>
>>> Ouch, that's expensive.

>>> Duly noted.  Also note that most surveys do not even being to scratch
> [...]

As I've posted before, a good friend did financial studies - Is it
practical to sell refrigerators on a time purchase pay plan and Is it
financially logical to establish a copper processing plant in
Thailand, was two I remember. He once pointed out that a "survey" can
be constructed to produce any result that you want to produce.

Since then I've been very leery about surveys :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.