Article <a6djcj1ae0eh4elnnm8pfmvlq2vf4a19ni@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<a6djcj1ae0eh4elnnm8pfmvlq2vf4a19ni@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: cyclists attack auto driver
Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2024 06:30:08 -0400
References: <nth9cjtkmu6fel54vai2bap0qc3qfmdat3@4ax.com> <va2j79$3f6t8$3@dont-email.me> <52l9cjh3n14qpvudp0na3epi6aes52l5mt@4ax.com> <l3dbcj5adhrpgu9o823hhg1pjd9qa4clh9@4ax.com> <va5176$3t7i7$7@dont-email.me> <mqeccjdn25uhluj988oufscjqeekvv52sb@4ax.com> <va5j6d$bnk$1@dont-email.me> <slrnvch6j2.igi.theise@panix2.panix.com> <vaa8ee$uhkh$5@dont-email.me> <hiahcjp3cua5a8rvbu5s1nfc0csjpsp5c2@4ax.com> <vaah2t$vqah$3@dont-email.me> <djdicj5h35etobk3ueg3g8ktqkfgn9a3ar@4ax.com>

On Sat, 24 Aug 2024 08:41:59 +0700, John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 23 Aug 2024 13:32:13 -0400, Zen Cycle <funkmaster@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On 8/23/2024 11:37 AM, Catrike Ryder wrote:

>>> Good grief. It's very easy to figure out what sounds good for those of
>>> us that play and sing by ear. Experimenting on the keyboard is a
>>> pleasant diversion. I often play it through earphones so as not to
>>> wake up my wife and neighbors in the middle of the night. Like I say
>>> in my book bios, I don't entertain any more.
>>
>>Something tells me it's a bit like this
>>
>>https://www.tiktok.com/@johnhughesmovies/video/7207089470225632555?lang=en
>
>https://www.pdmusic.org/famous-musicians-who-cant-read-music/
>20 Influential & Famous Musicians Who Couldn't Read Music
>Jimi Hendrix
>Eric Clapton
>Paul McCartney
>Elvis Presley
>Michael Jackson
>Stevie Wonder
> Bob Dylan
>John Lennon
>Prince
>B.B. King
>Janis Joplin
>
>see the reference site for the rest :-0

It wasn't that I couldn't read music. I could and I could, but it's
just that I didn't need to read music and I didn't care to do it. Just
like the wonderful Pete Fountain and many others, I added my own
interpretations of music that I'd heard. I'm sure Fountain could play
"Amazing Grace" exactly like it was written, but his own
interpretation is so much better. Damn, I love that song. Also Elvis's
version of "peace in the valley, written by Tommy Dorsey. I don't
think he went to music school.

I'm no Pete Fountain, but once I begin a piece, I just go off on my
own, the fingers, lips, throat, whatever just falling into place with
no forethought. My mother, sister and grandmother were pianists, but
some of my music ability came from my father who played the harmonica
pretty darn good. He played straight and didn't bend like Charlie
Musselwhite and couldn't read a note of music. I wonder if  Charlie
Musselwhite can read music.  I'd bet against it.

My mother made sure that all of us kids were going to read music,
although I drove our poor old piano teacher crazy with my
"interpretations" and she eventually refused to see me. She then, sent
me to another music school to learn the trumpet, and that didn't work
out much better, although I did play it in the high school band, much
to the old music teacher's dismay. He finally stopped telling me to
"play it like it's written" during the required private music lessons.
He'd roll his eyes whenever I bent a note.

My sister, in addition to the piano, played a base clarinet, and I had
to get my own reed before she let me play it, which I did.  I remember
sitting around our home listening and playing religious music. My
mother played double keyboard plus footboard organ in church and
eventually got one of her own.

I have several of Dad's "harpoons" (See Kris Kristofferson), and
unlike Dad, I bend.