Article <a72b91649f41806855f4ba13f95d3393@www.novabbs.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<a72b91649f41806855f4ba13f95d3393@www.novabbs.com>

From: tomyee3@gmail.com (ProkaryoticCaspaseHomolog)
Newsgroups: sci.physics.relativity
Subject: Re: Relativity is a pseudoscience II. The Hafele-Keating HOAX,
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2024 09:44:30 +0000

On Wed, 18 Sep 2024 3:26:38 +0000, ProkaryoticCaspaseHomolog wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Sep 2024 2:15:52 +0000, rhertz wrote:
>
>> http://www.leapsecond.com/museum/HK50/
>>
>> 50th Anniversary of 1971 Hafele-Keating Experiment
>> 04-Oct-2021
>>
>> NOTE: OBSERVE THE COUNTER LOCATED ABOVE BOTH CLOCKS IN THE PHOTO. IT'S
>> AN HP COUNTER/FREQ. METER, NOT ABLE TO MEASURE ABOVE 100 MHZ OR BELOW 1
>> uSec (first and third photo). It doesn't work to measure nanoseconds.
>
> As a EE, you should immediately have been able to think of a variety
> of methods whereby H&K could have performed their inter-clock
> comparisons to sub-nanosecond accuracy. I presume that their clocks
> had a variety of outputs. Today's clocks might typically have a 1 PPS
> output, as well as 1 MHz, 5 MHz and 10 MHz sine wave outputs.
>
> The first thing that I can think of would be to use an external time
> interval counter. I would connect the TIC to both clocks' 1 PPS outputs,
> and it will measure the time difference between the outputs to
> sub-nanosecond accuracy. Since the TIC is triggered by the edges of
> the output signals, its precision will be much greater than what
> the clock readouts can show.
>
> A second thing that I might try would be to use a phase detector to
> measure the phase difference between the clock outputs. The phase shift
> of the signal can be translated into a time difference. For example,
> a 3.6 degree phase shift between two 10 MHz clock outputs would
> correspond to a time difference of 1 ns.
>
> I'm sure that you can quickly think of other methods of performing
> the inter-comparisons. Which method did H&K use? They didn't specify
> in their two Science papers, but they would certainly have expected
> that any "person skilled in the art" (PSITA) could figure things out
> if they wanted to repeat the experiment.

The HP 5360A Computime, introduced in 1969, measured time intervals of
0 to 1000 seconds with 1 nanosecond resolution. The internal crystal
oscillator offered a measurement accuracy of 1 part in 10^7. It could
also be connected to an external 1 MHz or 5 MHz reference oscillator
to improve long-term accuracy and stability. It could average multiple
time interval measurements to reduce noise and improve accuracy over
a series of measurements. It had a 9-digit Nixie tube display.