Article <an5h0j9oesfdio44jr9iuofb9rb1lvgjph@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<an5h0j9oesfdio44jr9iuofb9rb1lvgjph@4ax.com>

From: Catrike Ryder <Soloman@old.bikers.org>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bottom bracket
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2024 19:01:15 -0400

On Wed, 27 Mar 2024 08:14:33 -0400, Catrike Ryder
<Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 23 Mar 2024 18:58:04 -0400, Catrike Ryder
><Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>>Those are not common failures, in fact the noise usually
>>>drives people to distraction long before serious problems.
>>>
>>>So yes, small incidence. Just not zero.
>>
>>Actually, I was just rolling my eyes at the broken cranks you posted.
>>I didn't really think I'd get stranded, in fact, when I finally got
>>around to checking it, the crankset (Sram Truvita Elita) had just
>>loosened up a little. Had I taken a look after the ride I'd have
>>figured it out, but I'd done over 50 miles and was just happy to have
>>been able to get up off the Catrike and load it in the truck. I pulled
>>it apart today and the bearings look Ok. I'll probably ride a couple
>>times before the new BB gets here..  due on the 29th.
>
>I'm still going to change out the bottom bracket when the new one gets
>here, of course, but on my 50 mile ride yesterday, the old one with
>over 38,000 miles on it, had no problems. I will have to include a
>check for the crankset possibly loosening up on my preride checks. I
>have no idea how long it was loose. I wouldn't have noticed it had it
>not been the noise the it made when it wobbled back and forth with
>each pedal stroke.

Today, about halfway out, I started hearing and feeling the "tick"
again. It seemed to come and go randomly all along the 25 mile return
trip. The crankset is tight, and I can't find anything external making
any kind of contact. I happens with all three chainrings, so it's not
a loose chainring. It occurs when the chainring side is at the
deraileur location, but it only happens when rotating as in a power
stroke. I haven't had a chance to change out the bottom bracket yet,
so I'm curious as to what I'm going to see when I get it apart.