Article <be041261e6d47d07a3b29255dc408e6803d870ad@i2pn2.org>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<be041261e6d47d07a3b29255dc408e6803d870ad@i2pn2.org>

From: Richard Damon <richard@damon-family.org>
Newsgroups: comp.theory
Subject: Re: Proof that DDD specifies non-halting behavior --- point by point
 --- in our head
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2024 19:40:49 -0400

On 8/14/24 9:34 AM, olcott wrote:
> On 8/14/2024 6:22 AM, Richard Damon wrote:

>>> Show the Trace of DDD emulated by HHH
>>> and show the trace of DDD emulated by HHH
>>> emulated by the executed HHH
>>> Just show the DDD code traces.
>>>

>> First you need to make a DDD that meets the requirements, and that
>> means that it calls an HHH that meets the requirements.
>>

> _DDD()
> [00002172] 55         push ebp      ; housekeeping
> [00002173] 8bec       mov ebp,esp   ; housekeeping
> [00002175] 6872210000 push 00002172 ; push DDD
> [0000217a] e853f4ffff call 000015d2 ; call HHH(DDD)
> [0000217f] 83c404     add esp,+04
> [00002182] 5d         pop ebp
> [00002183] c3         ret
> Size in bytes:(0018) [00002183]
>
> The is a hypothetical mental exercise and can be
> accomplished even if the only DDD in the world
> was simply typed into a word processor and never run.

But, must behave the rules of Computation Theory.

That means DDD, to be a program, includes the code of HHH, and that HHH
obeys the requirements of programs in computation theory, which means
that it always produces the same answer to its caller for the same input.

Note, its "Behavior" is defined as what it would do when run, even if it
never is,

> HHH can be purely imaginary yet must emulate the
> above code and itself according to the semantics
> of the x86 language. In this case HHH is a pure
> emulator.

No, it must emulate ALL the code of the PROGRAM DDD, which include the
code of HHH.

That, or you never had a PROGRAM DDD to give to HHH and you whole
hypothetical blows up as a LIE.

> On this basis we know that such an HHH would
> emulate the first four instructions of DDD.
>
> This includes a calls from the emulated DDD
> to an emulated HHH(DDD).
>
> This emulated HHH would emulate the first
> four instructions of DDD.

And the emulating HHH, needs to trace how that HHH does its emulation,
not the results of the emulation, as that is what the code of "DDD"

> We can do that all in our head never needing
> any actually existing HHH.

And eitehr HHH CONDITIONALLY emulates DDD, and thus can break out of the
loop, or it can't.

If it can, and it will, then DDD is Halting.

If it can't, then HHH can NEVER answer, and thus isn't a decider.

> All other points are moot and will simply be erased
> until we have mutual agreement on this point.

No, you NEED to answer the problems shown, or you are just admitting
that you idea is all just a pathetic lie.

This seems to be your fundamental problem (or as one friend of mine
calls it, a FUNNY-MENTAL problem) that you don't understand the
fundamental definitions of what you are talking about.

Halting is a property of FULL PROGRAMS, and by the rules of Compuation
Theory programs include ALL of the code they use, and their behavior can
only depend on that code and the data explicitly given as the input.

You "DDD" that contains only those byte specified, just isn't a program,
so you lost the argument at your first paragraph.

The fact that you don't understand this, and refuse to learn or accept
it does mean that you have a "funny-mental" problem that just proves you
are incapable of dealing with the topic you are trying to talk about,
and just failing horribly.