Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<c3bn4jl6jntj2th4cecm329il1l8kk5tc8@4ax.com>

From: LM <sala.nimi@mail.com>
Newsgroups: sci.electronics.design
Subject: Re: Ir remotes
Date: Mon, 20 May 2024 23:07:54 +0300

On Mon, 20 May 2024 00:01:18 -0700, Don Y
<blockedofcourse@foo.invalid> wrote:

>My understanding is that Ir remotes modulate an Ir "carrier" signal
>in a particular pattern to express a particular "code" corresponding to
>the key pressed/held.
>
>And, that different "chipsets" use different carriers and encodings.
>
>Is there a front-end that is tuned to the particular carrier
>in the receiver?  Or, is all of this done "digitally"?
>
>I.e., with a fast-enough (Ir) photodetector, should I be able to
>decode ANY signal from ANY "remote"?
>
>Said another way, is the fact that a particular device ONLY
>recognizes a particular remote related to its use of a particular
>chipset (or, equivalently, decoding algorithm in software)?
>
>[The former would be hard to change but the latter should be relatively easy]
Are you looking for something like this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC-5

Years ago  a long range remote used IR leds which could take 1A
current, but only for a microsecond or so.  Microsecond pulses were
modulated with 33-38kHz "carrioer" and that was keyed with data,
around 1-2kHz.
There are dedicated deceiver modules which  can output that data