Article <cgbj9jp4smtgpf6omt0edoenhvl9ncbuu3@4ax.com>
Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<cgbj9jp4smtgpf6omt0edoenhvl9ncbuu3@4ax.com>

From: John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Re: New Bike Path
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2024 07:10:42 +0700
References: <v6oskl$2frbh$1@dont-email.me> <z9VjO.57191$VBH2.30514@fx16.ams4> <v6qu9q$2jvdo$1@dont-email.me> <N5hkO.14857$tUK1.4825@fx07.ams4> <v72unp$k5kl$4@dont-email.me> <BFblO.44499$ku13.15360@fx13.ams4> <v73nvv$pqin$2@dont-email.me> <VQdlO.178026$0SEc.45366@fx02.ams4> <d8eg9jtkkacslvvp1lb1u2g58alc9pt4lh@4ax.com> <k95mO.45893$rMbd.18000@fx08.ams4> <g3sh9jpr89rb34kag53f2j08t4drmlof63@4ax.com> <00vh9jtk7a9fl8l5bnd3j1c9c01kblpmuv@4ax.com> <iZ9mO.85450$J6gc.47515@fx09.ams4>

On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 14:50:54 GMT, Roger Merriman <roger@sarlet.com>
wrote:

>John B. <slocombjb@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 18 Jul 2024 07:09:31 -0400, Catrike Ryder
>> <Soloman@old.bikers.org> wrote:

>>> I doubt that there is ever going to be a big movement to ban him from
>>> riding on the streets and roads where he likes to ride, at least not
>>> in the USA. If there is, I would definitely oppose it.
>>>
>>> On the other hand, Krygowski seems hell-bent on coercing everyone, or
>>> even forcing them through legislation, to be more like him. Now,
>>> there's a truly repulsive thought, but fortunately, he's failing on
>>> both fronts.
>>>
>>> I rather like making my own decisions about most things.
>>>
>> I keep reading all this foolishness about bike paths and all the
>> problems. Why not just do as we do here in Thailand?  see
>> https://touringthailandblog.wordpress.com/road-info/
>> Notice in many photos there is a center line and two white lines near
>> the edge of the road. The area behind the white line is for bicycles,
>> small motorcycles and other slow vehicles.
>>
>> The below shows heavy traffic over the largest holiday of the year and
>> see that small left hand lane is not used by autos even in heavy
>> traffic.
>> https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/general/2715106/holiday-traffic-crawling-out-of-capital
>>

>The main reason is that such large roads tends to be built as bypasses, and
>aren’t generally roads chosen by cyclists as they are the long way around
>which is fine at 40/70mph as well you’ll by pass the towns.

Sorry, the photo I posted is the main highway to N.E. Thailand and
goes through many towns, the one I live in, for instance :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.