Deutsch   English   Français   Italiano
<ctbc2jdkkifb45eo81ktprbkecsgnf3u9h@4ax.com>

From: shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com>
Newsgroups: rec.arts.tv
Subject: Re: What Did You Watch? 2024-04-18 (Thursday)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 01:51:02 -0400
References: <1145499069.735231138.694186.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <v039hq$br0g$1@dont-email.me> <284127956.735425216.113250.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <1584834823.735435434.850962.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <3ddb2jh6fcnkv5imn6dqe1b9pt8sssq4ec@4ax.com> <407348378.735447041.947241.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com> <ujlb2j9b3j7815rgmrnr1pss7ta2htc2mo@4ax.com> <1386901634.735454447.323689.anim8rfsk-cox.net@news.easynews.com>

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 00:33:18 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
wrote:

>shawn <nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 20:09:56 -0700, anim8rfsk <anim8rfsk@cox.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Star Boy has been around since 1961. :-) Originally he had all of Superboy
>>> powers plus the ability to increase the mass of objects to get around the
>>> duplicate powers rule. Somewhere along the line, he lost the Superboy
>>> powers wiki says he’s gone through several incarnations and costume changes
>>> and race swaps. Apparently he’s been insane since the 2006 version which is
>>> well after I stopped reading the Legion.
>>
>> Hmm, don't recall ever having heard of him. If he was just in Legion
>> books then that might explain it.
>
>Wiki talks of storylines where he visited the 20th century, but, yeah, I
>only know him from Legion books.
>

>I was never a huge comic book fan as
>> I just didn't have the money to buy more than a rare comic book when I
>> was young enough to really want to read them. Then as I got older I
>> was more into reading science fiction books. So the only comics I've
>> read in decades were those that JMS joined in on.
>
>OMG I am so terribly terribly sorry. :-(
>

>>> Jessica Cruz has only been around for 10 years, long after I stopped
>>> reading the Legion. I was puzzled as to why I knew who she was until I
>>> finally recalled that someone I know cosplay as her
>> Good reason to remember the character.
>
>Yep. That was making me crazy briefly trying to figure out why I knew this
>character, but couldn’t place her in any stories!
>
>https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSw1e254ZrKl9qrrM3cWT_WiOkdH3UTK-xMRPk067VrRA&s

Again, good reason to remember. Cosplay being one of the few reasons I
would ever want to attend one of the conventions. (Not a fan of so
many people crowded into one place.)

>>> Wikipedia says that this was a fairly faithful version, except that it was
>>> darkseid that Smashed her ring and killed her and the ring brought her back
>>> more powerful than before
>>
>> So if the ring can do that why didn't it do it for anyone else?
>>

>The wiki is very confusing. But apparently in the original stories, the
>character has a ring that isn’t a standard issue green lantern ring, but
>either has a different source or origin, or has been changed by contact
>with previous owners.  So it was a one time thing for her that wouldn’t
>happen with the standard power ring and doesn’t really make sense when they
>grafted the events of another story and another ring onto this one.

Why does she as a new GL get a special ring?

Oh, because the writer wanted her to have a special ring even though
she clearly would have been  a newbie and not worthy of special
treatment over long time GL members like Killowog.

>>> I actually remember that from the comics, but yeah, that was not my Hal
>>> Jordan either
>>
>> So they actually did that in the comics? Nothing like destroying a
>> beloved character. Guess that was a new writer pissing on the ground
>> to mark his new territory.
>
>This is the classic cover
>
>https://qph.cf2.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-b87cf569f4014f95ebbcdf5098db0cf0-lq
>
>This Wikipedia article explains it and who, and what was behind it, and how
>they eventually tried to walk it back, and what animated movie to avoid if
>you don’t want to see it
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emerald_Twilight?wprov=sfti1
>
>Amazingly, I actually know two of the people involved in this and I didn’t
>realize it until now.

Yeah, I saw that movie so at least they did it right in terms of
copying the comic. Not that it justifies what they did to the
character.